*sigh*....... mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crinkles
harden up mr OP. I agree with Loobed. If she pays more heed to her dad than you, I just don't know...

First thing that came to my mind.

The factory OCI on a D16 is not 5000 miles, it should be 7500 though at some point (and perhaps the switch to the D17) changed longer.

Anyway, they're not following the manufacturer recs for weight or OCI?

As far as I'd be concerned, thanks for the advice.... it's not their car so that's all it is.

Your fiance and her dad are wrong, but it's not worth arguing over. It took me many years to learn to pick my fights, and let the less important ones go by. If it's super important to you, then dig your heels in and do battle. But what's the worst that could happen by using 10W-30 for 5k miles?

who the farg cares? it's just a friggin oil change, its HER car and it aint going to kill it. settle down and worry about the bigger issues.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
who the farg cares? it's just a friggin oil change, its HER car and it aint going to kill it. settle down and worry about the bigger issues.

Exactly,what`s with those Fargon Iceholes anyway??
grin.gif
My father hung me from a hook ONCE.....ONCE!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
So today my fiance tells me that she wont be doing her 7.5k oci on her civic with M1 and will be cutting it short to 5k because her dad and his buddy mechanic believe that your engine has to get used to synthetic oil. What is this?!?! Is my engine a baby being switched to formula!? On top of that they both swear by 10w-30 for any application year round. Im disgusted with how much mechanics think they know about oil and shove their lies down our throats. Dads and their old school myth logic and Fram filters......
7,500 miles on M1? 10,000 would be better. We all think we know too much about things we really do not.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Don't get too involved with Pa and the mechanic friend concerning the oil drain interval.allow them to drain the oil whenever they want.Keep the peace and run from that battle.

Yeah, this is not a battle worth fighting. Remember the two words that are the key to a happy marriage:

"Yes Dear."

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I would tell her not to come to you or ask you for anything car related then( even after you are married ). Tell her "go see your Dad". Wash your hands completely of her vehicle(s).

Are you married? Holding a grudge for the rest of a marriage about one OCI isn't in the happy marriage play book IMHO...
Heck they might even extend the OCI after the engine "gets used to" synthetic...

It isn't about holding a grudge. It is about picking your battels as others have said. Let her Dad deal with it. She seems to place more faith in him so instead of worrying about it let him deal with it.

Get used to synthetic?

I don't even know what that means.

Do the metals need time to adjust thier molecular structure? Do the rings need to psyche themselves up for the change. Do the bearing surfaces need to read, Who Moved My Cheese? and do a report on it?

I'm lucky. My entire family and my girlfriend's family typically trust my knowledge on oil-related issues. I do have the occasional diehard myth battle with someone occasionally and usually I just state the truth and they don't question it beyond a 1 or 2 "But how come..." responses. If my girlfriend put more value on what her dad said over me, I'd probably be a little angry. I can't give advice on this because it would probably had adverse effects on your relationship. lol

My dad won't budge though when it comes to switching his truck to synthetic for longer OCI's, but he is using Rotella 15w-40 (in a diesel truck) for 5k mile OCI's, so I don't push the issue. That OCI is fine with that oil, I was just trying to help him change his oil less often.

My grandfather used to be the same way. He solidly believed in 10W-40 dino in 3,000 mile OCI for forever. Now that he has his escape, he is following what it says, which I believe is follow the OLM. But with my cavalier he felt that you had to use thick oil so it wouldn't burn. I actually found that the thinner oil burned off less than the thick stuff.

I'm just the opposite, I prefer thinner oil.

There isnothing wrong with using Mobil 1 in 7500 mile. The engine does not have to "get used" to it. They'd probably have a heart attack if they knew I started running full syn 5W-20/0W-20 at 7-7500 mile OCI with only 800 miles on my car.

Last edited:
My parents also have faith in me, though we usually get it changed at jiffy lube, but not with 3k mile. The last OCI on the expy was 6400 miles on Bulk "76" Dino (ConcoPhilips)with a MC-FL820S from Jiffy Lube. Current fill is Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Mobil 1 filter from the same jiffy lube. I told them to run it at least 7500 miles. Same goes for the mustang which has the same stuff.

yaris,

I personally believe this IS a battle worth fighting for MULTIPLE reasons!

1. A financial issue. You are going to be responsible for these vehicles once the marriage has taken place. There is no such thing as "her" vehicle - it is "our" vehicle, which means YOU are the one going to be handling it and NOT Dad. If something happens to the vehicle, you need to be able to have service records that are within the manufacturer recommendations.

2. It's a trust issue. Your future wife should not have come to you with her conclusion before requesting your advice. That is the goal in your stance with your argument here. You must have the outcome be concluded that you are to be trusted with decisions, even if those decisions are contrary to what others have told her.

3. It's a respect issue. Her father probably told her exactly what he thought is best. You need to tread lightly and explain that you have considered a different route, based upon factual evidences. Be convincing, but don't sell it to him. Leave it up to him to ask you more about it and he might not ever change, but he may respect your decisions.

People suggesting to you to just drop it or have Dad take care of the car are ridiculous statements. You do have to choose your battles, but I think this one might be worth fighting. I know for me personally, I couldn't let this one go. I wouldn't care about the oil change too much - more about the principles.

When I first switched my Kohler Magnum 12 to synthetic a couple years ago, it started burning oil a little. Not enough to smoke, just a couple ounces after a few hours of use. After a couple of weeks, it stopped burning oil and has been fine since (still using synthetic). Seems it just had to "get used" to the synthetic. Just sayin....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bigmike
yaris,

I personally believe this IS a battle worth fighting for MULTIPLE reasons!

I wouldn't care about the oil change too much - more about the principles.

I agree exactly. For all you know this may be a test if you will stand up to her or back down in the future with more important things. Good advice on explaining your point of view without bashing the father/daughter relationship.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
So today my fiance tells me that she wont be doing her 7.5k oci on her civic with M1 and will be cutting it short to 5k because her dad and his buddy mechanic believe that your engine has to get used to synthetic oil. What is this?!?! Is my engine a baby being switched to formula!? On top of that they both swear by 10w-30 for any application year round. Im disgusted with how much mechanics think they know about oil and shove their lies down our throats. Dads and their old school myth logic and Fram filters......

You need to ask yourself if the shorten OCI is more important than your future mariage. Someday, you may be a father to a girl yourself. Would you not be looking out for your daughter the way your fiance's father has done. Right or wrong about the OCI is matter of opinion. Imagine your fiance reading this thread.

I have mechanics in my family.

They are completely ignorant about oil. They are good for directing them what to do, and then supervising them every step of the way! ha-ha.

Thankfully, they don't question what I say about oil. They don't have any idea what to use, viscosity to use, etc.

Back on topic,

I'd let it pass for now (fighting against the early change).

You know, changing the oil early is only going to hurt the pocketbook, nothing else, maybe the environment the slightest bit.

Therefore, let it happen.

Do you change the oil or them?

If it's you, down the road, they will forget about it, and you can change it when you want to. If it's them, let them do what they want I suppose. It would be worse if they wanted you to go 20k on oil. At least they want it done more often, which doesn't hurt your car.

Now, in terms of the viscosity they want to use, that is more annoying. I don't know what to tell you about that. If you do it without them around, I suppose use what you want, unless they'll find out.

This is just silliness in a way though isn't it? ha. Good luck!!!

Side note, a few years ago I would have been like the father or buddy mechanic. I would have wanted the oil done at short intervals even if synthetic. You could not have convinced me otherwise. Therefore, you can't blame them completely for wanting to do the "right," thing in their head for the car.

Last edited:
Not worth doing battle over, IMO.

An old Civic isn't going to croak on 10W-30 dino - if that gives her 'peace of mind', let her have it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back