Sidewall Cracks

Noticed this sidewall crack yesterday. Car is a 2018 Subaru Legacy Sport. Tires are stock tires. GOODYEAR EAGLE LS-2. I have ~40k on the tires with plenty of tread left. Looking to replace in the next 10 to 20k. Is a crack like this an issue? I didn't look at the other tires because I didn't get time. But I'm sure they have some type of cracks.
20221124_115201.jpg

The weather checking isnt an issue.. the one continuous crack is..
Good thing they arent michelins we would never hear the end of it.

Those are below average tires .. I would jump on a sale and "upgrade"

I had those cracks on some Good Year tires just like Michelin's like to do this at around 6 years.

I'll replace them if you got some money.

looks BAD!! tyres along with braking is MOST important!! manufacturers generally take the LOWEST bidder for their OE tyres!! my elderly aunt never wore out her tyres on her 99 jeep as she drove VERY little in her older age + car sat OUTSIDE. the excessive cracks would NOT pass yearly Pa state inspections, she just got basic cheeper no name tyres!!

That's not great. I'd monitor the situation-- put a penny in the picture for scale-- and see if it gets worse over the next 3-6 months.

I have the money to replace them but... I just bought my wife new tires last month, just did rear pads and rotors on this car, have a trans service on her car coming up along with an alignment. If I get new tires, I'll get an alignment for this car too.

Man, the hits just keep on coming. Bad time of year for all these expenses.

You need new tires, and this is the best time to buy tires since it's Black Friday weekend :)

What is the tire size? You should consider a 3-peak all-season tire.

hehe I guess I haven't been on the forum long enough to know what the Michelin reference means...I guess I'd agree the continuous one is bothersome...we had ones that looked like the other cracks on Latitudes which had a factory recall, just not on our production dates. We ditched them at 53k which was a little early. Reaching the mileage expectation shouldn't be the sole factor in the decision replacment imho...

You need new tires, and this is the best time to buy tires since it's Black Friday weekend :)

What is the tire size? You should consider a 3-peak all-season tire.
225/50ZR18. Gonna get the CC2 which I just got on my wife's CR-V. The Costco discount is good for 2 more days. Still gonna cost me over $900. I could get the PS AS4 cheaper but I would rather have the additional snow traction. But, I'm sure the AS4 is much better in the snow than the Goodyears that are on there now.

" schedule an appointment with a Goodyear retailer for a tire evaluation. Goodyear is here to help make sure you, and your vehicle, are driving on properly maintained tires."

Is the car parked outside? My parked outside OE 2015 Bridgestone's look like new compared to your GY's.

" schedule an appointment with a Goodyear retailer for a tire evaluation. Goodyear is here to help make sure you, and your vehicle, are driving on properly maintained tires."

Is the car parked outside? My parked outside OE 2015 Bridgestone's look like new compared to your GY's.
The one goodyear retailer that was in the area closed a few years ago. The closest ones are NOT close at all.

Car is parked outside all year. I only have a one car garage and my S4 is in there. That car has tires on it that are ~12 years old and they don't look like that. I just ordered a set of CC2s. I'll get a few hundred more miles out of the goodyears and then get the CC2s installed when they come in. ~$960 after taxes installed.

I'm gonna have to put my HPL order on hold a few months.

Last edited:
Back