Side Mirror Turn Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I've been looking into for many years, but haven't found something even remotely suitable until recently. I've explored both the fender repeaters and the mirror repeaters, but the thing that is making me shy away from the fender repeaters is the need to drill.

The goal is to have a look like it came from the factory, similar to this:

scion_SS05_440.jpg

Recently, I've noticed that these are now being sold on Ebay. This is just one example of many, and they can be found using the words "led mirror turn signal".

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-X-8-LED-Car-Tur...=item415236202b

Other than what is needed as far as routing the power supply lead, the installation is simply peel and stick double sided adhesive. Many vendors of this, and many variations.

My concerns before I even consider going this route are:

- don't want a "rice" look or one that can't pass off as being from the factory,
- does the product work as it is intended to (the only source seems to be China, Hong Kong or Taiwan, and I suspect that the Hong Kong or Taiwan supplied ones were just made in China anyway),
- extreme temperature performance of the adhesive over time (both cold and hot) - I can easily use my own higher quality adhesive than supplied with the lights
- DOT approval, or lack thereof is my biggest concern. Will I run into issues with law enforcement, like an officer having a #$%%@ day deciding to write a ticket?

The only other alternate I can see to this, that would be DOT compliant is to to the fender repeater. To avoid drilling, I have found exactly one option online (and can't seem to find a way to get this shipped to Canada). A company in Delaware makes a self adhesive surface mount signal/marker lamp:

082-00-312.png

The vehicle it will be mounted on looks like this:

2009-toyota-sienna-5dr-8-pass-van-ce-fwd-natl-side-exterior-view_100235952_l.jpg

On this picture, my proposed mounting location would be on the fender, just forward of the door, with the teardrop point just touching the gap between the door and the fender, so that the wire can tuck in through there, and would be just shy of halfway up between the side molding and window line, roughly where the light reflection is on this picture. Not fond of the fact the lens is amber (rather have a clear lens and amber light), but I could live with it. Concerned about the finished look, though.

If I knew for certain that side repeaters supplied OEM on other vehicles could be flush surface mounted with little or no modifications and some adhesive, I would go that route, installed in the same way as the above lamp. I like the look of the repeaters on the Saturn Astra:

2008-saturn-astra-5dr-hb-xr-side-exterior-view_100291483_l.jpg

Hard to see in the picture of the van, but in the front light cluster at the side, just above the reflector patch, is a marker lamp. I've converted it to combination marker/signal operation for the interim, but it really isn't too visible from the side, except for cross traffic as you're making a turn.

Curious to hear what you would do, and why? Open to other options and ideas as well.

Your regulations don't require fender blinkers in Canada?

German cars come with OEM fender blinkers, you might want to check and see what these look like for your tastes. But you would need to drill a hole for them. I would not go with the adhesive route... wiring might look ugly for those.

No, the lighting regulations in Canada are a carbon copy of US DOT. Fender/mirror blinkers aren't required here.

I've seen some fairly attractive fender blinkers on many German cars, also some Japanese cars and the ones on the Astra.

If drilling a hold, how can I be certain that rust won't occur? That is what's really holding me back from that route.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to make sure no one is in your blind spot either way... you can't just add the light and then it's someone else's problem.

That being said, I also wouldn't want to drill (though I'm sure you could if you paint the edges afterward) because it's probably not going to be just one panel you need to go through. Besides the wiring nightmare, I think the mirrors would be the best route.

Again, though, as someone who drives motorcycles... take the extra second to look over your shoulder.

I wouldn't mess with it.

I've never had a problem making sure no one is along side my vehicle before either making a lane change or making a turn. Anyone in front of or behind me will be able to see my front or rear turn signal. If someone is in a position where they can't (such as along side my vehicle) I'll make sure I don't change lanes or turn.

With spot mirrors mounted on my regular mirrors and constantly maintaining the sight picture of the area around my vehicle when I drive I'm never lax enough for someone to sneak up along side my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
rewire the front side marker on the headlight:

connect a wire from the turn signal +12V to the ground of the parking light/front side marker.

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html

Thanks, done that already. Front side marker isn't very visible from the side, and certainly not to a vehicle next to me.

I do check before changing lanes, and have never had a problem. Thinking this would be a good preventative measure. Guess I will stick to things as is. Would have been nice if it were a simple, clean and low cost install, but it doesn't appear that it will be.

Sometimes newer models of the same vehicle are adding signal lights to the mirrors. Toyota FINALLY did that on the Tacoma for 2012. I am going to try and price some mirrors, and see if I can afford a set for my 2009 truck.

I think it helps visibility a LOT. My truck has no blinker whatsoever visible from the side (for perpendicular traffic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back