Sibling rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday before dinner the wife was in the fridge and found a container of food coloring knocked over. I commented about how we were going to replace everything once we got rid of the kids and so I didn't care about the stain. My daughter took offense, and I was in a playful mood, so I had some fun. I explained that we were in the process of looking for the highest bidder for the kids. This went as expected, so I then said a friend of ours was offering to trade a tractor for her and her brother. Looks to kill.

Just getting warmed up I then asked my son if he'd trade his sister for a tractor. "No" was his quick response. I was a bit surprised so I asked if he'd trade her for two tractors. "No" was again his response.

At this point pride was welling up within me to think my son wouldn't trade his sister for anything. But I just couldn't quit so I asked what he would trade his sister for. He thought for a moment, then responded "A tractor battery."

Really? A $50 battery for the 12hp lawn tractor that has been sitting for a few years? Not a monster truck, not a million dollars, not the world's largest collection of Lego's--a simple battery?

So much for my parenting skills!

Why was food colouring in the fridge ?

The only biological entity silly enough to eat that stuff is people...

I've got two boys, 4 and 2. Its amazing sometimes how well they play together, sharing toys and building stuff together in the sand box. Other times, not so much...
I'm sure each of them would trade their brother for a ride on battery powered tractor, but I won't ask them that.

I think it was food coloring, looked like it, and was dark green. No idea really. For all I know it could be yarn die, I think the wife died some yarn... several years ago.

Our kids are best friends. I fear the day when that will change. But they are very close in age, and there is no other kids in the immediate area, so they play for hours together. Now that they are of reading age it's starting to change a bit, but they are still very close.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Filling in for Pop Rivet?

Supton, perhaps it wouldnt have been so funny if the kids responded by saying they wouldnt trade each other, but they'd gladly trade you for the battery..or even a new bike.

These are the kinds of interactions that on the surface seem harmless, but are remembered forever. And not in such a good way.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Supton, perhaps it wouldnt have been so funny if the kids responded by saying they wouldnt trade each other, but they'd gladly trade you for the battery..or even a new bike.

Heh, I see your point, would have put me in my place had they said that. That would have been funny too.

Quote:
These are the kinds of interactions that on the surface seem harmless, but are remembered forever. And not in such a good way.

Hmm, I see your point, not really worried. At least not for my kids. There is a fair amount of teasing in our house, but it's not to the point of being mean--it's meant for all to have a laugh.

Its a father's sworn duty to lovingly torture his children. You have done well.

But remember, they'll be the ones deciding what cheap brand of adult diaper you get some day... and how often it gets changed. Limits are important!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

That made me LOL!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its a father's sworn duty to lovingly torture his children. You have done well.

But remember, they'll be the ones deciding what cheap brand of adult diaper you get some day... and how often it gets changed. Limits are important!
smile.gif

Now that's a sobering thought.......

Wayne

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

That made me LOL!

Yeah, I went to bed last night and thought :doh:...knew the comments were coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back