show my PC SCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we get a call today, some fella immediately begins instructing me what do with my PC- a classic entry- immediately begin delegating orders bc sadly most people respond to this.

Not that it matters but the first fella had a russian accent, the second 'escalation' hand off was clearly an indian accent, therefore I really can't pinpoint where this scamjob call center is located.

Anyway, right off the bat this is obviously a scam but I do not want to miss this chance to discover his MO (and to just plain ol F with him:D) I fully pretended to incompetently follow his directions step-by-step. First, he asks you to identify the type of machine you're on "sir, what button is next to ctrl?" he asks. I said "a little flag picture" so he gets me to Window-R, msconfig > services and relay back to him how many windows services are stopped. I said "oh about 10", and he begins the real deception: tells me that viruses and malware have disabled these services (lol newsflash, that was me) and that they need to help me and fix my computer. Continuing to play along, he tells me to Window-R and enter an URL from there. I pretend to do it, and of course, the url is for his website, showmypc, and he tells me to click on a big yellow box that would enable remote access. Of course, the remote access/help and support services are all disabled on my machine, but I'm still not even going ot resolve that url.

This is where I change his game a little bit. I asked him point blank "Excuse me, sir, but do you think that I am a stupid man?" he said "excuse me?". I call him out on trying to remote into my machine. He insists that they need access to fix these 'problems', which I promptly tell him "these microsoft services have nothing to do with viruses/malware", yet still he insists. I then tell him that my installation of Windows is over 7 years old and that's not by accident, and continue to tell him that I just 'cooperated' to see what his MO is and that he should feel overwheming shame for trying to scam people into destroying their computer, STILL not understanding that I have a total grast on this situation. He bellows one last time "sir, are you a technician" to which I reply "YES!!!!" -- instantly the line goes dead.
lol.gif
What a [censored]!

Has anyone else here been solicited by these jerks???

My mom gets calls from outfits like this regularly and just thanks them and tells them she has noted their contact number and will be providing it to the mounties at the end of the call. That always results in an abrupt hang-up.

My 86 year old grandma got one.. she didnt believe it was a scam but she just tells them "if I have a problem my grandson will fix it"

BUT he cant fix this problem

yes he can *hang up*

I told her it was a total scam and she was shocked she just thought it was someone trying to sell her something.

She also clicks no to everything even updates

Last edited:
On the same line, I had a call: "sir, your windows machine is infected with a virus."

I know it's a scam but figure I'll have some fun. I tell him to hang on while I change phones and boot the computer. When it's up, and he's going on about how nasty these viruses are, he tells me to go to "Start", "Run", and gives me something to enter.

I play along saying, where's start? He tells me and then I say I don't see "Run" on it. He's getting [censored] by now. Tells me to try again. After the second time I'm like, "why do I need to do this?" He says "to fix the virus." I said "Windows is infected?" "Oh yes, you need to fix it right away."

Then I tell him, I'm running Linux. Click, line went dead.

Yes, we've gotten one from them, claiming to be microsoft lol. My mom got the call, and said she was told "your computer is being hacked by the hackers" and she just pretended not to know how to do anything, before finally hanging up on them. It was hilarious. Next time we get one I'm going to tell them I work for the FBI and am going to have them extradited to the US and incarcerated.

I've gotten those calls a few times. The first time I was just trying to figure out their scam and then they finally hung up after I wouldn't do anything. The second time I just told them I was a CS major and to stop scamming people and then they just hung up right away. Another interesting scam I've gotten lately is one that claims they're from the IRS and that I need to call them back immediately. I kinda knew it was a scam from the start because the IRS doesn't call and if they did, it wouldn't be on a Saturday. They make it sound very threatening though and they actually leave a message telling you to call.

good work, same stuff that I pull on these types of people. For some real fun ask them what is showing up on their computer, ask if there is a blinking red button on their taskbar. When they ask about it tell them you are with the FBI computer crimes division and have been waiting for their call.

Quite a few years ago, before Caller ID, I worked the night shift and I woke up about 5:00 in the afternoon. As usual, I then turned the phone ringer on. It was right about the time that the sales calls started. A (pleasant-sounding) lady was on the other side. She chit-chatted with me for a few minutes and then asked me if I worked out. I told her that I did. (That was the truth) She then told me that when you do a strenuous workout, you actually break down your muscles. (That is actually true. The body then rebuilds your muscles and since the muscle is thin on the sides and bulges in the middle, you get larger muscles) She gave me the infomercial speech for about 15-20 minutes and I agreed with everything she said. She warned me that I needed these "special" vitamins, at $350 for a month's supply, to help me rebuild my muscles and she was going to switch me over to the guy who would take my credit card order. I then told her that I had no intention of ordering anything. After a long pause, she then asked me where she had gone wrong with her speech, as I had agreed to everything she had said, at least until the very last. I told her that I never had any intention of ordering anything from her. It's just that she had wasted 20 minutes of my time and I was just making sure that I was going to waste 20 minutes of her time. She verbally laid into me and I have never heard so many swear words from anybody in my life. I laughed at her and kept her on the line until she hung up on me.

I got a phone call saying that it was microsoft, and that my computer had a virus.

The first word out of my mouth was.... (well i can't say it here cause its a family site, but you get the idea).

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
On the same line, I had a call: "sir, your windows machine is infected with a virus."

I know it's a scam but figure I'll have some fun. I tell him to hang on while I change phones and boot the computer. When it's up, and he's going on about how nasty these viruses are, he tells me to go to "Start", "Run", and gives me something to enter.

I play along saying, where's start? He tells me and then I say I don't see "Run" on it. He's getting [censored] by now. Tells me to try again. After the second time I'm like, "why do I need to do this?" He says "to fix the virus." I said "Windows is infected?" "Oh yes, you need to fix it right away."

Then I tell him, I'm running Linux. Click, line went dead.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
That is a good one!!!

I got one of those once. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared with ideas and we had company in the house. I just laughed at the guy and hung up. We talked about it at work and one of the more amusing ideas that came up was to put the guy on "hold" with music, and I have some interesting music I'd use. That would be after jerking him around for a while. It would be interesting to see how long I could keep him on the line.

I got a legit call I wasn't expecting one time.

My cable company called me one time because my roommate at that time had downloaded one of the UFC fights from somewhere on the Internet. Well UFC had contacted the cable company about it to complain about the copyright violation coming from my IP. The cable company then called me to make sure I wasn't running my router wide open. I assured them I wasn't, and that my roommate had recently moved out, which was true. That was the end of it, thankfully.

I talked with my ex-roommate later and he admitted to having downloaded the UFC stuff. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back