Should your rpm be within spec when your timing is set?

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 GL 4dr. sedan. My idle rpm specs are 550. When you set your timing to the right mark should your idle rpm be within specs? My timing specs are 10 dgree BTDC and my idle rpm specs are 550. Should my tach read 550 after you have set your timing to the correct mark?

On a car of that era, generally you have to jump or disconnect some wire so the computer doesn't vary the spark advance. Then move the distributor to set the "base timing." Procedure may be on the sticker under the hood, if not consult a manual.

The 3.8 ford taurus uses an electronic idle air control valve to control idle speed. I can't see how a small variance in ignition timing can upset idle speed. The ECU should handle it just fine.

On a car of that era, generally you have to jump or disconnect some wire so the computer doesn't vary the spark advance. Then move the distributor to set the "base timing." Procedure may be on the sticker under the hood, if not consult a manual.

If it's like the Mustang 5.0 and it probably is, there's a jumper plug you remove and it's located within a few inches of the distributor. It's a jumper plugged into the exact same style of connector they use for the fuel injectors (EDIT: with the cheap plastic locking tabs that like to break off. Since it's a standard fuel injector connector you can replace it with a better Bosch style connector/pigtail when that happens)

I'll defer to others regarding your relatively modern car, but back in the days of distributors with breaker points it was important that the timing be set at the specified idle speed so that the timing was was not being advanced, either centrifugally (by the rotating weights in the distributor) or by the vacuum advance (which advanced the timing as the manifold vacuum dropped).

And before setting the timing, it was important to set the dwell angle (determined by point gap) correctly.

I'll defer to others regarding your relatively modern car, but back in the days of distributors with breaker points it was important that the timing be set at the specified idle speed so that the timing was was not being advanced, either centrifugally (by the rotating weights in the distributor) or by the vacuum advance (which advanced the timing as the manifold vacuum dropped).

And before setting the timing, it was important to set the dwell angle (determined by point gap) correctly.
Yup, that was the good old days. Only thing I have now like that is my 65 Mustang. Also the only thing I truly understand.

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 GL 4dr. sedan. My idle rpm specs are 550. When you set your timing to the right mark should your idle rpm be within specs? My timing specs are 10 dgree BTDC and my idle rpm specs are 550. Should my tach read 550 after you have set your timing to the correct mark?
IIRC, idle and ignition timing is not adjustable. What does the Emission Hood label say?

IIRC, idle and ignition timing is not adjustable. What does the Emission Hood label say?

Not true, the '93 Taurus 3.8 still has a distributor. Although the PCM controls the timing advance and retard, base timing is still adjustable. As an aside, idle speed is DEFINITELY affected by base timing.

I do not know if idle speed is adjustable, however I doubt it. Research the correct procedure for setting base timing, then see what happens. 550 RPM is fairly normal idle speed for many fuel injected engines.

My 4.7 Jeep specs a hot idle, in gear, of 600-625 RPM. Taking into account gauge inaccuracy, that's dead on and smooth as Egyptian cotton sheets.

Not true, the '93 Taurus 3.8 still has a distributor. Although the PCM controls the timing advance and retard, base timing is still adjustable. As an aside, idle speed is DEFINITELY affected by base timing.

I do not know if idle speed is adjustable, however I doubt it. Research the correct procedure for setting base timing, then see what happens. 550 RPM is fairly normal idle speed for many fuel injected engines.

My 4.7 Jeep specs a hot idle, in gear, of 600-625 RPM. Taking into account gauge inaccuracy, that's dead on and smooth as Egyptian cotton sheets.
Having a distributor automatically means it is adjustable? He did state, his base timing is currently at 10 BTDC. We will see when he posts the picture of the hood label. It has been a while since I have seen one of those vehicle.

Last edited:
Having a distributor automatically means it is adjustable? He did state, his base timing is currently at 10 BTDC. We will see when he posts the picture of the hood label. It has been a while since I have seen one of those vehicle.

You caught me, and you're absolutely right. Look at the Vortec engines with the flats on the distributor base. Sure, they can be tweaked a couple degrees but nothing like back in the day.

AFAIK, the Ford 3.8 didn't have that design.

No. I've had a Wrangler, a Cherokee, and two Blazers that had distributors that were keyed to the block so they couldn't be adjusted.
Or was that just rhetorical and I misunderstood?
Wrangler and Cherokee most likely, cannot be adjusted. What year and engine size on the Blazer?

Back