Should rotors be replaced in pairs?

The rough side needs to be turned first. Then if it's above min spec it's ok to use
Not exactly correct, though there are some semantics at play here. Some OEMs use the term “machine-to” and “discard.”

There needs to be enough material for the rotor thickness to remain above minimum for the service life of the new set of pads. If the rotor is barely above minimum after machining it is likely to measure below the minimum thickness before the new set of pads are worn out.

Last edited:
Any reason why I can't just replace just that one front rotor and leave the other one alone?
No, but I would recommend replacing the calipers and installing an entire new SET of pads. Leaving the one rotor is not the end of the world but at this point, if you're going to dance, dance to the whole song, not just part of it. 🤷‍♂️

No, but I would recommend replacing the calipers and installing an entire new SET of pads. Leaving the one rotor is not the end of the world but at this point, if you're going to dance, dance to the whole song, not just part of it. 🤷‍♂️
Why replace oem calipers? So much better than most aftermarket... but pricy.
I would never replace calipers as preventative maintenance.

Should I replace the rotor if I ran it down to the back plate on the pad? Still has plenty of thickness left. I know one time we didn't have a rotor and just put pads on anyways, and never had any issues with that one wearing more.
Yeah, the backing plate of the old pad grinding into the rotor is going to have put gouges severe gouges in the rotor. Unless you caught it right away, but if you drove it like that for any decent amount of time, you'll see it right away when you take get that rotor off.

Why replace oem calipers? So much better than most aftermarket... but pricy.
I would never replace calipers as preventative maintenance.
Are they OEM? Yes aftermarket are not as good. Doesn't sound like this vehicle is getting regular maintenance, hence a caliper recommendation.

Are they OEM? Yes aftermarket are not as good. Doesn't sound like this vehicle is getting regular maintenance, hence a caliper recommendation.
Every vehicle I e er had has worn the insides slightly more than the outside. I can see both sides still have the same thickness, dont see any grooves

Are they OEM? Yes aftermarket are not as good. Doesn't sound like this vehicle is getting regular maintenance, hence a caliper recommendation
I get that.
but OP doesn't want to spend on 2 rotors
leads to a >>suggest calipers that cost 2-3x the rotors
not even knowing if there is a caliper issue since hes pretty sparce on the details.

not even knowing if there is a caliper issue since hes pretty sparce on the details.
Considering there's uneven wear to the front brakes, I'm recommending the calipers get replaced. I don't think I would want to invest time or money only to find out I have the same problem again in six months with uneven wear.

I'm down to metal on metal on one of my rotors.....ooops Any reason why I can't just replace just that one front rotor and leave the other one alone? Still plenty of thickness on the rotor, it just made the surface a tad rough.
Yes always replace in pairs. Is it possible that the side needing replacement has sticking calipers? They should wear on both sides similarly

Back