Should polish or wax go on first

Status
Not open for further replies.
sealant generally after a wax.

No, it's the other way around.

Sealants are supposed to bond to paint, offering superior protection from the elements. They usually last longer than a wax-based product. Sealants also hold up better to car washes. These are the reasons people like them (besides how they make the car look, of course).

The only reason to top a sealant with wax is to alter the look of the sealant. Some people prefer the rich glow of a carnauba wax over the high gloss of a sealant. It's all about asthetics, nothing else.

Applying a sealant after a wax is a waste of product and time. The wax and the oils in it will prevent the sealant from bonding to the paint.

Do this:
  • Wash
  • Clay
  • Polish/Clean
  • Seal/Wax

You really shouldn't have to wash again after the clay step, though some people do. Polish/Clean are somewhat interchangeable, depending on the condition of the paint. If you have a lot of swirls, then polish. Use a good paint cleaner if your swirls are minimal to nonexistant. Sealants can be used like wax, or in place of wax. A polymer sealant will last much longer than an old school carnauba wax, so sealants are great for winter protection or those who just aren't as wacko about detailing their cars as I am. A true wax is usually only good for maybe 4 - 6 weeks anyway, while a good sealant can last 3-6 months. I use sealants on all my cars, but top my weekend toy with a carnauba for some extra pop.

Don't forget to apply a good sealant to your wheels too. Brake dust cleans up much, much easier that way.

Good rundown, Mike. I definitely recommend wax/sealant on painted/clearcoated wheels. I waxed mine after a good scrubbing, and brake dust comes off immediately with just a little quick detailer. Be careful not to get any detailer or wax product onto the friction surfaces of your brakes, spray on the rag, not the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back