Should I use a dented battery?

I think I know the answer, but thought I would ask anyway.

Picked up a battery for my wife's CRV (51R). It didn't fit the battery tray because of the mounting lips at the bottom.

I decided to use my oscillating tool to trim the lips off and noticed a dent in the case.
This is weird because I always inspect parts before buying...but maybe I missed it.
I wonder if my son or someone smashed into it while it was sitting on the floor in the basement awaiting install.
It looks like it was whacked pretty hard.

The case is scratched where the impact occured, but not fully compromised.
The opposing side has a white patch, indicating plastic strain.

Anyway, I can't return the battery...and I'm pretty sure I'll have to eat the $100 for the battery.

What would you do?

Bob

Attachments

• PXL_20220403_135958734.jpg
    PXL_20220403_135958734.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 123
Exactly what I thought, thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened. The battery was downstairs on a charger by the door. I'm wondering if my son whacked it getting his bike out...
It was also briefly on the kitchen table. He and a friend were hanging out for a few hours while we were away.

Oh, whatever. Found a good replacement at Costco.

Bob

I’d try returning it. Who’s to say it wasn’t like that when you bought it? If they say anything about the mounting lips being trimmed off just tell them you did it before you noticed the dent. They can’t resell it anyway with that dent and should get credit from the supplier.

Unless you all know something about batteries that I don't, and since you are stuck with it, I would use it. What could happen, maybe at some time it will fail? A perfect looking one can fail too. Heck it could last for years.

Unless you all know something about batteries that I don't, and since you are stuck with it, I would use it. What could happen, maybe at some time it will fail? A perfect looking one can fail too. Heck it could last for years.
It looks like the plastic casing got puctured and the metal body probably got dented. Probably no different than a dented can of peas at the grocery store.

Try to return the battery. Regardless of your modification the battery returns to the manufacturer and is gutted for the lead.

Yeah...I'm naturally thrifty.
But, I can easily afford another battery, and prefer to minimize the risk of my wife being stranded.

Interestingly, her mom is still driving her 2003 CRV with the same model Interstate battery I'm picking up today. It is 4.5 years old and seems to be going strong (though I rarely let a battery go more than 3 years).
THey are about to get a new car, so I'm not replacing the battery.

Bob

Could lead to bulging at the side, I've had that happen.

Bad battery. Sides should be flat and strong, no soft fat bulge. Crack is not good.

I would load test the battery and use it until it can be replaced.

Batteries can fool load tests,.. at least voltage wise. What is the proper way to do a "voltage drop" test?

I hate to keep mentioning AAP, but 1 of my many responsibilities was to update the software in the battery and alternator tester. Or District Manager, who I really disliked could pull data from the tester and check that we offered full testing and he would b!tch if we didn't. Voltage drop is simple, the voltage at no load typically 13.2volts to voltage under load, starting engine.

Back