Should I upgrade to a larger filter? - 2010 Murano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Some unknown reason Nissan spec the shorty 6607 size where the longer 7317 will generally always fit. In Wix/Napa Gold the 7317 equivalent would be the 5/7356 and it uses a silicone adbv as opposed to nitrile for 51358.

Exactly. As I've stated before, in my G37, I could weld two 57356 filters lengthwise and still have room to mount the stupid thing. I'm not sure how many Nissan/Infiniti examples there are that actually necessitate something the size of the 51358, besides sir1900's example, but I certainly have more than enough room. The current Baldwin is an oversize, and was actually a tiny bit cheaper than the specified filter in the first place. The same weird pricing structure has applied with the old 51356 over the originally specified 51365, and the Hastings upsize over the regular one, too.

Somewhat off topic, I'm still not sure what was exactly "wrong" with the 51365 originally specified. Sure, the base plate is different, but that explains very little, considering I never had leaks, nor was it just barely hanging on by one or two threads. The 51358 was an answer to a question I never asked, particularly with that answer including a higher price and a nitrile ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Garak
....Somewhat off topic, I'm still not sure what was exactly "wrong" with the 51365 originally specified. Sure, the base plate is different, but that explains very little, considering I never had leaks, nor was it just barely hanging on by one or two threads. The 51358 was an answer to a question I never asked, particularly with that answer including a higher price and a nitrile ADBV.

Looking at the 51365, I suspect it had to do with the older baseplate design and something Wix found either in their testing or users experience that lead to the new baseplate design on the 51358. Similar happened to the previous 51356 going to the 57356 used in majority Honda vehicles. Back when the change happened and was posted here (~2011/2012), Wix said the new base plate geometry made for better block engagement.

The 57356 went through several changes before getting to it's current typical Wix filter design. Started with the new base plate, nitrile adbv and dome bypass. Then went to silicone adbv and dome bypass, and currently it's silicone adbv and thread end bypass.

Fwiw when son owned 2010 G37S, he ran the 7317/14610/57356 application size filter with no issues. I'd have no problem running 57356 on a Nissan. Same specs as the shorty, just longer with more media area. And in the case of Wix/Napa Gold an upgraded silicone adbv from the 51358.

Yes, Wix gave me much the same explanation about the geometry engaging better with the block. Like I mentioned, though, it's not like mine was only going on with the depth of two or three threads, anyhow. I still have no problems with the old 51365 or its upsize 51356, either. In fact, until recently, one of my suppliers still had the way old application guide hanging in the aisle with that recommendation.
wink.gif

Of all four Wix options, I probably have the least confidence in the specified 51358, given the nitrile ADBV and the poor louvers on that one example, not to mention the highest price of the group. Of course, none of that stopped me from using the 51358 how many times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back