Should I upgrade to a larger filter? - 2010 Murano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I just did my first oil change on the 2010 Nissan Murano. The oil filter is dinky... not even 3" by 3"! It uses a Wix 51358. I plan on extending the OCIs with synthetic oil. It looks like there's room for a larger filter. Can someone recommend a larger capacity oil filter? I can't find a table that would list the the different oil filters for comparison. It does use an anti-drainback valve.

If you'd like to bump up a bit in size, the Wix 51334 should suffice. Same thread size/pitch, same gasket dims and very similar by-pass.

edit: the 51358 by-pass is 8psid and the 51334 is 8-11psid

Last edited:
I would personally opt for a higher-capacity filter that's actually specified for your application, rather than a larger one that isn't.

If you have room for about 3/4" more filter height then the Wix/Napa 7356 series (Fram 7317 equivalent) are a good oversize choice. The Wix/Napa 1334 (Fram 3593A equivalent) should also fit - it's not as tall but is larger in diameter.

All that said, plenty of people are running extended OCIs on those little thimble filters just fine - media quality matters more than size. I personally prefer the larger filters as well, but it's mostly a peace-of-mind thing.

57356 should fit, also a 51356, which is the different base plate. I'm pretty sure the 57356 is the one specified for the Infiniti V8s, and it's simply an upsize to the 51358. It used to be a 51356 upsize, 51365 specified for yours and mine. Then they went to 51358, due to base plate changes. I've used three out of the four examples so far; I haven't tried a 57356 yet.

The Baldwin in my signature is the upsize, too. I used the 51358 a lot without any real worries, aside from the nitrile ADBV and closed louvers.
wink.gif

Some unknown reason Nissan spec the shorty 6607 size where the longer 7317 will generally always fit. In Wix/Napa Gold the 7317 equivalent would be the 5/7356 and it uses a silicone adbv as opposed to nitrile for 51358.

Another option as mentioned, if OD width permits would/could be the 51334.

At the least though, the 57356 would be an easy upsize from the shorty 51358.

Filters that angle base down will take longer to fill each time the engine starts, if the oil drains out. It will drain out of the center tube even if the drain back valve is perfect. There is a wide difference in filter element size in the same size filter can, and what the element is made of. Some filters waste a lot of space in the canister. In a filter base down car I would use what the factory says. Don't know if that model is base down, my Nissan was.

I'd upgrade to the V8 Titan filter, which is for a civic, which is an oversize option for the R1, which is funny. They seem to not need it, but a little extra oil and media can't hurt anything either.

The Nissan VQ40DE V6 takes the same small filter I only use the Fram 7317 either an ultra or the next Fram model down I forget the name off hand. After taking the small Wix apart that is the recommended model for V6 it seemed lacking in media compared to the slightly larger Fram.

Ive talked about this endlessly AND have had destructive engine noise with the Nissan filters. Best option is Honda pcx004 S2000 "race" filter. by filtec. I was having luck with the Nissan Titan V8 filter made in Mexico by Gonher but that ended with my last OCI. Must be Media inconsistency QA issue. I also had a failed ADBV ( soft and flex OPEN ) on the GONHER. Nissan China aftermarket don't flow oil. There is no appreciable clearance around the paper endcaps for flow. Running the Fram in my sig below. Its OK.

You're not alone - Huge Corvette V8s take a filter a bit smaller then that!!

A larger filter won't make much difference, I've done it, the filter media is the same, but a larger filter is a "feel good" item. .....Now I'm sad, LOL.

I run Baldwin filters on all my cars and bikes. If you have the room(going up in size) take a look at these. B1431, B161-S, B168, B199, B7042 and B202. I have ran all of these filters on my bikes and cars(the B202 and B7042 on my S2000). Bulit like tanks and since they're painted bright red you get some extra HP too.

ROD

I use the manufactures recommeded filter, which I know has the proper relief valve pressure etc and sleep well. This obsession with oversize filters is foolish IMO. Ed

It's not an obsession. The manual states a 3750 mi OCI with 5W-30. I'd like to upgrade to synthetic oil for a 10K OCI. I'm worried about a filter the size of a hummingbird having the capacity to hold all the contaminants for 10K on a 3.5L engine. If it's in my power to properly upgrade the oil filter, I'd like to do it.

If the specified filter does the trick, then why aren't all manufacturers specifying filters this small? Real estate under the hood is rather tight.

Before you go buy that oversized filter, consider the following:

In our 2015 Murano, I have to use what is spec'd for the vehicle, which is the shorter filter 51358. Main reason is, if I used an oversized, it would come in contact with the plastic cover/shield that is between the passenger front wheel and where the oil filter is mounted.

Might want to check to make sure you won't have this problem before buying that oversized filter, otherwise, stick with what is spec'd and go with a Napa Platinum or a Fram Ultra 6607.

Like others have said, filter media more important than size.

I have the exact same motor as you do Kestas. I can fit the 7317,57356 etc.. I think you will be fine. I have room between the cover and the end of the longer 7317. So, roll on with your plan. I am like you in thinking that the weedeater sized filter is a bit surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back