Should I switch to Mobil One EP for the ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was running 12K OCI on M1 EP and blackstone report showed oil had tons of life left in it. Short intervals would literally be burning money.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
There will be virtually no difference between starting your engine with M1 0W20 or M1EP 0W20.

.....or between starting it in Indiana and Massachusetts.....

PS: If you're doing 4K OCIs you could use ST 5w20 dino and your Civic's engine will outlast the rest of the car....

Originally Posted By: pbm
There will be virtually no difference between starting your engine with M1 0W20 or M1EP 0W20.

PS: If you're doing 4K OCIs you could use ST 5w20 dino and your Civic's engine will outlast the rest of the car....

First post here on "Bob", and I highly agree with this statement. If you're only doing 4K intervals on your oil, your engine (and wallet) would be just as happy with basic Dino oil, as it would with Synthetic. Less wear? Maybe. But not enough to justify a $3-$5 a quart more expense for it.

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber

First post here on "Bob", and I highly agree with this statement. If you're only doing 4K intervals on your oil, your engine (and wallet) would be just as happy with basic Dino oil, as it would with Synthetic. Less wear? Maybe. But not enough to justify a $3-$5 a quart more expense for it.

Mobil 1 AFE comes to a tad more than $2.50 a quart with the current $12 rebate (based on 22.88 Walmart 5 quart jug plus 8% sales tax) Rebate goes through Oct 31 - limit 2 per household.

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber

welcome2.gif
banana2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Stick with the Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and don't worry about it. AFE has a pile of PAO's in it too, but generally speaking, PAO's don't automatically make it any better, just saying! People get way too hung up about PAO's and Esters around here.

2civics: Since you've decided to stick with 0W-20 weight oil, and apparently have also decided to continue to change motor oil at 4k intervals, you have nothing to gain by going from Mobil 1 AFE to Mobil 1 EP. Nothing whatsoever. I will leave it to others to try to convince you to extend your OCI.

See UPA below. Same engine, TBN still strong. Went about 8000 miles on the last OCI, but did not get a UOA. Will do so on the next round. You should have no problem running any of the recommended Mobil1 products down to 0% on your oil life monitor. Switch to 5w20 Dino if you feel the need to continue with these 4000 mile OCIs.
UOA.jpg

Last edited:
PAO oils aren't really a big improvement if at all these days. Arctic starting is where PAO could make a difference. In fact if PAOs were so good all the commercial operators would be running it.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Not sure I am making sense here. I currently use Mobile One 0W-20 full synthetic. I want to know if switching to Mobile One EP 0W-20 makes sense due to the greater PAO content, when extended mileage isn't a factor, and cost is the same.
crazy.gif

It's Mobil 1, not a mobile...
smile.gif

And yes, stay with AFE if you're not extending the OCI at least to 7,500 miles. Buy whatever 0W-20 is on sale or has a rebate...

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
And Western MA is one of the worst places as far as rust on a car I am not sure how bad the rust issue is down in the Boston area but what ever they use at the other end of the state is real bad!

Not nearly as bad as Western New York. At least they mix in some sand in MA, we just mix in more salt...
smile.gif

Comparing M1 vs M1 EP,
M1 EP will have a slightly lower pour point temperature resulting in higher flow rate on winter stArt ups in the nothern states with less start up wear.

The higher POA blend of M1 EP will result in less viscosity reduction from shearing, prolonging the oil life.

Oxidation rate should be about equal for the two blends and less than type 2 , conventional.

Higher POA concentration will result in additional rubber seal softening.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Should I switch to Mobil One EP for the PAO content?

You are overthinking this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: egomolka

Are you sure the rebate is available through Walmart? ...

They are indeed participating and people get rebates all the time regardless of the list on Mobil's site...

Originally Posted By: Bill_G

Mobil 1 AFE comes to a tad more than $2.50 a quart with the current $12 rebate (based on 22.88 Walmart 5 quart jug plus 8% sales tax) Rebate goes through Oct 31 - limit 2 per household.

Are you sure the rebate is available through Walmart? According to the Mobil website, they are not a participating retailer: https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/up-to-15-dollars-off-with-mobil-1-and-mobil-super

Yes - I'm sure the rebate is available through Walmart - I received 24 bucks for the spring rebate and just submitted for this latest one. They make it pretty simple. Buy the oil, take photo of bonafide receipt, upload photo of receipt along with rebate form - receive rebate check/s a few weeks later. If you qualify for two rebates, you need to submit twice even though the purchase might be on one receipt. If you like Mobil1, it's a no-brainer.

For this Civic, I'd run bulk Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synth and not think twice about it.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Are you sure the rebate is available through Walmart? ...

They are indeed participating and people get rebates all the time regardless of the list on Mobil's site...
+1....received my rebate about 6 weeks ago....from a Walmart purchase.

Good oil - how about 5k? That's still way conservative ... And easy to remember ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back