Should I switch to high mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are probably many threads on this, so don't flame me too bad. I have a Ford Explorer with 140K miles on it. Have been using regular synthetic oil since 33k when I got it, and never really considered high mileage oil. No leaks and everything seems good. Is switching to a high mileage oil a good idea, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing? Thanks, Ed

140K miles on a ford motor run on synthetics is just getting broken in
keep doing what your doing and maybe pull a sample and send it to a lab to make sure everything is good internally to give you a warm and fuzzy

just my 2 cents worth
49.gif

High mileage oils have one thing to offer: High profits for the marketers.

I've got cars with 350,000 miles on them. I still don't consider them high mileage, still on originally spec'd 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: edweather
... No leaks and everything seems good. Is switching to a high mileage oil a good idea, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing? Thanks, Ed

Answered your own question....keep doing!

Thanks for the replies. Got it! If it's not broke......

I used to send oil samples to the lab. It was fun, but haven't done it in a while.

Originally Posted By: widman

I don't agree with that. The major brands charge as much for their flagship synthetics as their high mileage synthetics. Maybe if you were switching from a major brand to Royal Purple HMX...

I say go for it. Warm and fuzzy is a good feeling and if it doesn't help don't worry because it won't hurt either.

This looks like a job for the Universal Answer (Man).

It doesn't matter. Please yourself.

Pennzoil High Mileage which is a good HM oil is only about a Dollar or so More at wal mart.

I like Pennzoil oil the best but their containers sometimes leak and are for the birds. Valvoline and some other high quality oil companies have a double seal to keep the oil from leaking out until you open and break the seal on the cap and then peel off the freshness seal. A much more secure way for sure.

With a 140K, I'd switch. Yeah, I have Fords with well over 200K and they run on most anything. But I either switch to Delo400 15W-40 or Maxlife 10W-40 at around 150K to quiet them down some. The motors get rattly, and I don't like listening to them. I like quiet at idle and at RPM when in 4x4 Low going slow in the sand or whatever as I usually have the windows open and can hear the darn things ...

If you drive off road with the radio and teh A/C going, it may not make any difference ...

I put 300,000+ miles on a Ford Ranger running synthetic oil the whole time. Had a small oil leak repaired at about the 250,000 mark. Was running real well when I sold it.
Keep on doing what you have been.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: widman

I don't agree with that. The major brands charge as much for their flagship synthetics as their high mileage synthetics. Maybe if you were switching from a major brand to Royal Purple HMX...

Richard has a very valid point, of course within reason. If he has something like a leak that would be addressed by a HM oil, he's going to fix it in the first place, and fairly quickly, precluding the need, perceived or otherwise, for a HM oil. If someone isn't in a rush to fix things, a HM oil may help. Also, someone who wants a cost effective dexos1 option would be well served to look at MaxLife.

However, just switching to a high mileage oil because the marketers say X number of miles is a good figure to do so, that's high profits for the marketers.

I switched to a HM oil because my Valve seals were worn after 225k miles on my 2000 Camry. It smoked at start up a little. By switching, it stopped the smoke by a lot. Now it may happen once a month. I have been using Castrol GTX HM 5w30.

Originally Posted By: G35_TX
I switched to a HM oil because my Valve seals were worn after 225k miles on my 2000 Camry. It smoked at start up a little. By switching, it stopped the smoke by a lot. Now it may happen once a month. I have been using Castrol GTX HM 5w30.

thumbsup2.gif
Whenever I decide to start using a HM oil, Castrol GTX HM 5W-30 is the one I plan to switch to.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: edweather
... No leaks and everything seems good. Is switching to a high mileage oil a good idea, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing? Thanks, Ed

Answered your own question....keep doing!

Excellent answers including the others that said keep doing what your doing.""

My posting skills aren't that good otherwise I would have copied all of these into this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back