Should I replace my front brakes?

Just replaced rear pads and rotors on my 2018 Equinox as rotors were deeply grooved. Used Akebono pads and Powerstop coted rotors. The front pads have about 35-40% life left. Should I replace them so they match the rear or leave them alone until they start squealing?

I think you should change your front brakes. If you waited long enough for the rears to get grooves in the rotors, you should just replace the fronts now. Its likely that front rotors should be used again, and you can just replace the pads.
You don't want to miss the point that you should do the pads. Waiting for a squeal to replace the pads is dumb. Its likely the only time they MAY squeal is if the pads are down to zero material left, which will put grooves on the surface of the rotor, you'd have to replace the rotor. Before anyone says they squeal when the get low due to the wear indicator tabs, you're wrong. I've changed brakes on my family's cars for years, and only one time did the indicators performs as designed.

I think you should change your front brakes. If you waited long enough for the rears to get grooves in the rotors, you should just replace the fronts now.
That makes zero sense. Brake rotors can develop grooves for a variety of reasons. What happened to the rear brakes may not happen to the fronts. If the front brakes have adequate material remaining and have no performance issues (e.g. pulsation, abnormal noise, etc.), there is no reason to replace the front brakes now.

Its likely that front rotors should be used again, and you can just replace the pads.
We cannot make that assumption without more concrete info. Without rotor thickness info, condition of rotors, etc., how can we be certain that the rotors are safely reusable?

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I always get nervous when I hear pad life expressed as a percentage instead of a measurement of how much lining is left.

That makes zero sense. Brake rotors can develop grooves for a variety of reasons. What happened to the rear brakes may not happen to the fronts. If the front brakes have adequate material remaining and have no performance issues (e.g. pulsation, abnormal noise, etc.), there is no reason to replace the front brakes now.

We cannot make that assumption without more concrete info. Without rotor thickness info, condition of rotors, etc., how can we be certain that the rotors are safely reusable
I'm going to go ahead and shut my mouth..

It would have been very unusual for a car to wear the rear faster than the front but today with traction control and ESC the rears can wear faster as the cars electronics are feathering the rear brakes without the operator knowing it.

Just replaced rear pads and rotors on my 2018 Equinox as rotors were deeply grooved. Used Akebono pads and Powerstop coted rotors. The front pads have about 35-40% life left. Should I replace them so they match the rear or leave them alone until they start squealing?
How many miles on the vehicle?

Isn't it a bit unusual for the rears to wear out and the fronts to have 40% left?
I had a similar situation on my Cadillac SRX. The thought seems to be that they use rear bias to reduce "brake dive" and with ABS and stability control there is no potential for rear lockup.

Isn't it a bit unusual for the rears to wear out and the fronts to have 40% left?
Not on modern cars. While the automakers still tend to put smaller rotors and pads on the rears, with modern brake systems, it seems that things like 75% front and 25% rear distribution no longer apply but it's closer to 50/50. It's also why vehicles don't nose-dive when you hit the brakes.

Back