Should I replace my engine too along with trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to get some opinions. I have a 2006 Ford-Five Hundred with 249,000 miles on it FWD Auto 6-speed.

GOAL:

Keep it on the road for as long as economically feasible so I can save up my money for a brand new car.

PROBLEMS:

Bad valve body / trans
Bad front struts
broken shifter

Other issues that aren't essential to keeping the car driving such as electrical and AC

BACKGROUND:

I found a 2007 Montego that is a match in a junkyard with only 69k on it in good working order

JUNKYARD PRICES:

Trans: $450
Engine + Trans: $1000
Shifter: $50
Struts: $50 per side

OPTIONS I'm CONSIDERING:

1) Have a shop replace transmission for $575 and do the rest of the work myself. total cost = $1,175

2) Have a shop replace the transmission and engine for $1500 and do the rest of the work myself. total cost = 2650

What do you think, is it worth it to try and replace the engine as well at the same time, even though I'm not currently having any issues with the engine? Or just save the money and put it towards my new car down the road?

Also, can anybody confirm that the 6 speed auto transmission from an '07 Montego should work without issues in an '06 Five-Hundred with 6 speed auto?

Last edited:
Just do an LS swap
smile.gif

It is a tough call, I must admit

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I'd go with option 1.

What issues are you having with the trans?

It's had a bad valve body since for 50,000 miles causing it to shift like [censored], shift hard, not be in the right gear and slip into neutral when I'm on the highway. I can't believe I've been driving it for so long with that issue.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Just do an LS swap
smile.gif

Junkyard 4.8/5.3 swap with a Chinese Ebay turbo!!

The only way I would do the engine and trans together is if you are dropping both out anyway. While you have the replacement engine out, fix all the leaks and replace the motor mounts before it goes in the vehicle.

So for $2650 you are getting a 69k 07 Ford 500? Or for a $1200 you get on the road again.
I guess if you can do struts and brakes and the rest, it might be tempting just to keep the thing going for a long time. Find a good newer drivers seat at the wrecker and carry on, given no rust issues on your car I am assuming.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would not replace a transmission on a car that just needed a valve body. What's wrong with it?

The valve body costs about $1300 but I can get one for $750 new, both are more than the whole transmission. Also, I figure the transmission probably needs replacing anyway, especially with all that abuse from the bad valve body.

That was my logic atleast

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
So for $2650 you are getting a 69k 07 Ford 500? Or for a $1200 you get on the road again.
I guess if you can do struts and brakes and the rest, it might be tempting just to keep the thing going for a long time. Find a good newer drivers seat at the wrecker and carry on, given no rust issues on your car I am assuming.

No rust issues, plus its got leather, dual climate control, moonroof, but the car isn't perfect. I also noticed that the rear door panels fill with water in the rain. Must be a Ford issue.

I'm going to have to fix an electrical issue as well, replace a wheel bearing and tie-rod bushing. I think that's it though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 7055
It is a tough call, I must admit

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I'd go with option 1.

What issues are you having with the trans?

It's had a bad valve body since for 50,000 miles causing it to shift like [censored], shift hard, not be in the right gear and slip into neutral when I'm on the highway. I can't believe I've been driving it for so long with that issue.

Are you sure it's the valve body? And valve bodies are often DIY-able.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

No rust issues, plus its got leather, dual climate control, moonroof, but the car isn't perfect. I also noticed that the rear door panels fill with water in the rain. Must be a Ford issue.

I'm going to have to fix an electrical issue as well, replace a wheel bearing and tie-rod bushing. I think that's it though.

No rust but the rear door panels fill with water?

If you can handle the other stuff yourself, option 2 isn't a bad deal. $2650 to get another 100K out of the vehicle seems to be worth it.

Originally Posted By: Donald

No rust but the rear door panels fill with water?

Yes

Last edited:
If you drove it with the trans hunting, slamming and banging for 50,000mi, that's incredible to me!

I know in my area with mandatory yearly inspections, where you can't have a check engine light on, I wouldn't put that amount of resources into this car with this kind of mileage.

It's really sad, but going forward, we're going to see more and more vehicles hit the junk pile because of costly transmission issues.

Originally Posted By: JTK
If you drove it with the trans hunting, slamming and banging for 50,000mi, that's incredible to me!

I know in my area with mandatory yearly inspections, where you can't have a check engine light on, I wouldn't put that amount of resources into this car with this kind of mileage.

It's really sad, but going forward, we're going to see more and more vehicles hit the junk pile because of costly transmission issues.

Yea, it's so bad, it will screech the tires just driving through a parking lot. Entering the highway is like playing roulette. One time I had to put the flashers on and coast down the highway till it decided to engage a gear again.

If you can afford the combo of engine and transmission I would take both. For one that's a rare make and model they didn't make them for many years and also it's a low mileage example might as well scoop it up while you can.

Plus they are already mated together so you know they should play nice with each other.

I don't see any downside if you have the cash now. It's cheaper than buying a new car. 69k is just broken in for that engine.

I'd replace both - as long as the engine seemed to be in good shape. I wonder why it's so much more in labor to do both - it would seem that they would be glad to not have to crack the engine apart from the transmission..

I'd have the junkyard do the work! They'll have both cars there and the judgement to use the best bits.

It sounds like someone smells a flat rate bonanza in the work they're quoting you. Hopefully you can drop your powertrain on the cradle with "everything" including wiring harness and maybe even struts. Figure out how the factory did it, and do it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back