Should I replace both rear and front coil springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody! I noticed that the front end of my Equinox sags over an inch lower than most other Equinoxs around my year (2005.) I also notice a slight slope from back to front as well. I replaced the struts and shocks prior but did not replace the coils. I was considering just replacing the front (to correct the slope and even the stance) and getting an alignment but I am not sure if I should have the rears replaced as well?

I'm doing this in my WJ shortly.
I consider it normal maintenance around 100k or 10 years for my JEEPs anyway.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
This is why I keep telling people to use quick struts!

Id argue that springs arent typically something that always needs replacing..although it depends on the situation.

OP, are you sure the springs are the reason for the sag?If yes, than id replace all 4 but maybe the springs arent the problem...

I would argue that unless its a higher end make like Bilstein or Sachs for example the cheap quick struts are nothing more than a mix of mediocre parts at best.
They are okay if the thing is on its last legs or for sale but in something decent a high end strut with OEM springs and mounts are a better way to go IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Id argue that springs arent typically something that always needs replacing..although it depends on the situation.

OP, are you sure the springs are the reason for the sag?If yes, than id replace all 4 but maybe the springs arent the problem...

what else would be the (sag) problem with a "coil spring" suspension ?

there is really no debate or "argument" a spring wears out and should be replaced.........

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Rolla07 said:
zzyzzx said:
there is really no debate or "argument" a spring wears out and should be replaced.........

Not really the case. Springs tend to last longer that the car lifespan. The rubber and the shocks wear, and are probably responsible for this sag. Springs are more likely to break than to "wear.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Rolla07 said:
zzyzzx said:

Not really the case. Springs tend to last longer that the car lifespan. The rubber and the shocks wear, and are probably responsible for this sag. Springs are more likely to break than to "wear.

by wear I mean compress, pull your 100k mi coil spring out and compare to new one......case and point !

I do agree (at least with JEPP WJ's) they have coil spring isolators that compress as-well and wear before the coils. Shocks should have nothing to do with sag.

Does the sag affect anything? I'd be tempted to just leave it alone, although have a good look at the springs. I'm sure there is a monster of a front sway bar up there and one spring might've failed but the sway bar keeps the front flat, but lower.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Does the sag affect anything? I'd be tempted to just leave it alone, although have a good look at the springs. I'm sure there is a monster of a front sway bar up there and one spring might've failed but the sway bar keeps the front flat, but lower.

Well prior to replacing my shocks/struts (about 40k ago) the car could never get into perfect alignment. Once I replaced them it was improved but I have noticed recently that I have been having some issues with vibration at highway speeds. I ruled out brakes (I replaced them recently, worn. I also bedded them properly and they work great) but I still have the slight vibration at highway. I know that proper ride height can make a difference with alignment and thought it might be that. The back looks OK and I have never had alignment issues there but I was wondering if I replace the front and get an alignment if that will cure it (barring a suspension item I might not have caught that is broken.)

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Well prior to replacing my shocks/struts (about 40k ago) the car could never get into perfect alignment. Once I replaced them it was improved but I have noticed recently that I have been having some issues with vibration at highway speeds. I ruled out brakes (I replaced them recently, worn. I also bedded them properly and they work great) but I still have the slight vibration at highway. I know that proper ride height can make a difference with alignment and thought it might be that. The back looks OK and I have never had alignment issues there but I was wondering if I replace the front and get an alignment if that will cure it (barring a suspension item I might not have caught that is broken.)

^this,
and when you go from 100k mi coils to new your ride and handling is a 100% improvement this and the above quoted post makes your vehicle safer.

TO the OP, I would research the spring setup and make sure you do not have coil spring isolators on the top and bottom of your springs, these are usually some type of rubber and wear and compress as-well, creating sag.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

I have reused strut mounts and then had them rust through. I have also had springs break (although if you live someplace where cars don't rust then maybe you can reuse the springs and strut mounts just fine).

^this,
and when you go from 100k mi coils to new your ride and handling is a 100% improvement this and the above quoted post makes your vehicle safer.

TO the OP, I would research the spring setup and make sure you do not have coil spring isolators on the top and bottom of your springs, these are usually some type of rubber and wear and compress as-well, creating sag.

Cool, so should I bother to replace the rears as well or just the front which seems to be causing my issues?

Funny you say that. I replaced my sway bar links about 2 years ago. They were the originals

Did you rule out tire balancing/tire related issues for the vibration at highway speeds?

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would argue that unless its a higher end make like Bilstein or Sachs for example the cheap quick struts are nothing more than a mix of mediocre parts at best.

Really?! Even Monroe Matics?

Yes. The only possibly decent shocks they make is the Reflex and OE Specrum, not high end but passable in a daily driver.
Who supplies the springs and bearings for them? COO?

I tried Reflex on my Expedition a few years ago.
Good lord have mercy they were leaking within a year! Monroe replaced them and i used the new ones for store credit through a friend who is a manager at a local parts store where i bought the originals.

I put Bisteins on and no problem, the ride was superior and no leaks ever.
The Gabriel is a decent strut for the money but again who is making the other parts and where.

I need to do all 4 on one of my GP so i will get KYB AGX struts (no more Bilsteins for these W bodies), stiffer Eiback springs with OE mounts and boots.
I need to use shorter dog bones and anti pogo washers up front to compensate for the slight drop.

I'm pretty sure the OEM for my Buick's front struts were Monroe; they're still on there too; they're over 14 years old and work great.
55.gif

AC Delco. No matter there is a big difference between OE grade and aftermarket grade from the same manufacturer.
Look at an Delco belt tensioner or plug wires for your Buick, there is one for $20 less than Delco OE on the same page. Same deal with shocks and struts until you get into the upgrade stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back