Should I grease caliper guide pins on an Audi?

Going to do a brake job this weekend (pads and rotors) on my 2017 Audi A4. Just wondering if I should grease the caliper guide pins or not. Don't think Audi makes mention of it, and I know BMW specifically says not to. Was wondering if anyone has experience with Audi/VW and whether or not they should be lubricated. If so plan to buy some 3M silicone paste.

Thanks!

Going to do a brake job this weekend (pads and rotors) on my 2017 Audi A4. Just wondering if I should grease the caliper guide pins or not. Don't think Audi makes mention of it, and I know BMW specifically says not to. Was wondering if anyone has experience with Audi/VW and whether or not they should be lubricated. If so plan to buy some 3M silicone paste.

Thanks!
whats BMW's logic on not greasing the caliper slide pins?

whats BMW's logic on not greasing the caliper slide pins?
Not completely sure, never owned one. I think their logic is that the grease may attract dust, dirt, and other abrasives on the surface of the pin, causing wear and possible binding. But, I feel that could be said about any car.

ate calipers have used shiny coated slide bolts for like 40 years. if they’re dull you must replace

just leave them dry

Thanks!
Rears yes fronts no. The pins should be replaced if they are in anything other than pristine condition (like new), lubricate the sliding and contact surfaces lightly.
The rears use a different style of pin seal and should be lubed lightly.

Rears yes fronts no. The pins should be replaced if they are in anything other than pristine condition (like new), lubricate the sliding and contact surfaces lightly.
@Trav - Our Lexus GS350 and Tundra use the fixed caliper...
I clean the pins on a wire wheel and lightly lubricate them. I try and clean everything!
Your thoughts on lubing the pins? Thanks...

Back to Audi/VW, why do the fronts pins not require lubrication? Are they not lubricated from the factory? I looked in the factory service manual and it lines up with what you said - there's no mention of lubricating the guide pins in the front brake section, but it does say to lubricate them in the rear:

1623860080710.png

I also noticed that the manual makes no mention of lubricating the front brake pad backplates. It does however say to coat the rear brake pad backplates. Both the front and the rear have rubber shims installed, but maybe it's because of the metal clips attached to the fronts? Interested in your thoughts.

Front:
1623860623378.jpg

Rear:
1623860633053.jpg

851A640D-48B8-49AA-B889-AB03C2C82B69.jpeg

the rear caliper is a TRW (formerly girling) with traditional sliders. front looks to be a fixed 4 piston design by ate.

dry guide pins is for floating ate calipers like this.

Attachments

• F71426CF-E205-403E-A22A-4E0C94DBCCD1.jpeg
    F71426CF-E205-403E-A22A-4E0C94DBCCD1.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Back to Audi/VW, why do the fronts pins not require lubrication? Are they not lubricated from the factory? I looked in the factory service manual and it lines up with what you said - there's no mention of lubricating the guide pins in the front brake section, but it does say to lubricate them in the rear:

View attachment 60504

I also noticed that the manual makes no mention of lubricating the front brake pad backplates. It does however say to coat the rear brake pad backplates. Both the front and the rear have rubber shims installed, but maybe it's because of the metal clips attached to the fronts? Interested in your thoughts.
All of the recent VAG front pads I have installed (From the dealer) use an adhesive shim on the front pads.

View attachment 60512

the rear caliper is a TRW (formerly girling) with traditional sliders. front looks to be a fixed 4 piston design by ate.

My fronts (1LF):

1623865736077.png

1623865746955.png

1623865858425.png

1KJ expanded.jpg

I will plan on inspecting the front guide pins and cleaning (dry). I will inspect, clean, and lubricate the rear pins. Thanks!

All of the recent VAG front pads I have installed (From the dealer) use an adhesive shim on the front pads.

Hmm, my pads are OEM from an Audi dealer. They look exactly like the photo with a rubber shim. Doesn't seem to be adhesive, unless something peels off (don't think so). Still not sure if I lubricate the front pad backplates... appreciate any insight!

yup they’re fixed

on brembos you just blonk the pins out with a hammer, on these it looks like the pin is attached to the pad

Attachments

• 02FACCFF-37FE-4B6C-B739-3AADFEFA24B4.jpg
    02FACCFF-37FE-4B6C-B739-3AADFEFA24B4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 52
Hmm, my pads are OEM from an Audi dealer. They look exactly like the photo with a rubber shim. Doesn't seem to be adhesive, unless something peels off (don't think so). Still not sure if I lubricate the front pad backplates... appreciate any insight!
The ones I have installed came with a brown sticker on the backing plate that must be peeled off.

yup they’re fixed

on brembos you just blonk the pins out with a hammer, on these it looks like the pin is attached to the pad

So just to confirm, I have floating in the rear and fixed in the front, and you recommend lubricating the guide pins on floating (rear) but not on fixed (front)?

The ones I have installed came with a brown sticker on the backing plate that must be peeled off.

Interesting, not the same on these pads. The backing plates on the front and rear pads are rubberized but no adhesive.

So just to confirm, I have floating in the rear and fixed in the front, and you recommend lubricating the guide pins on floating (rear) but not on fixed (front)?
yes, unless audi’s procedure says otherwise. make sure they’re referring to your option code, the 1LA/1LB fronts are floaters with dry pins like in the picture below.

8E986B3F-7D78-4B5E-988B-1C33541A92F1.jpeg

For caliper sliding pins and pistons, use this special glycol rubber grease. It is wonderful. Do not use heavy brake grease, such as CRC brake grease with silicone, which will cause sticking. Anything that slides must be properly lubricated. BMW probably doesn't have the right grease like the Toyota special glycol rubber grease, and that's why they aren't using it, as other greases may cause sticking.

Last edited:
For caliper sliding pins and pistons, use this special glycol rubber grease. It is wonderful. Do not use heavy brake grease, such as CRC brake grease with silicone, which will cause sticking. Anything that slides must be properly lubricated.

Not necessarily. Follow the factory service instructions for the vehicle you are working on.

Back