Should I drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So reading an earlier thread about overfilled transmissions got me thinking about an ATF change I did recently on my 2008 Honda Odyssey. Drove it about 200 miles now after the change. I normally put in 3.5 quarts to get it half way between the marks even though the manual says 3.3 quarts for a change.

For some reason, I remembered wrong and put in 4 quarts. Should I drain it?
So far no issues in shifting and its been driven in both city and highway speeds. Looked under the hood and beneath the car and don't see any signs of any leaks or fluid overflowing out of the vents.

Reading the ATF cold....its about 1/2 inch above the max.

Check the level when it is hot, right after a long drive. If it is way over the full line then I might drain a little out. It wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Last edited:
If it hasn't seen 15k drain and fills then it could probably benefit from another drain and fill. Esp if the van has seen mostly city miles. Otherwise, I'd probably leave it alone.

Sounds like you could drain it and add 3 quarts and be right on the money.

Is the cold check how it's specified in the manual? A half inch above full is high

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Check the level when it is hot, right after a long drive. If it is way over the full line then I might drain a little out. It wouldn't be that difficult to do.

+1 Cold level doesn't mean squat. Follow the procedure listed in the owner's manual. Some Honda's you check hot right after shutting off the engine, other's you shut off the engine and wait 30 seconds.

Last edited:
If you don't want to go through all the hassle of a pan removal again after only 200 miles, you might want to pick up a $7 fluid pump from Harbor Freight or Walmart. You should have no problem pumping out a 1/2 quart or less of fluid via the dip stick tube, especially since it's a bit overfull. A pump like this often comes in handy for other fluid changes too. I bought mine to use on manual transmissions but it came in handy on a slight overfill when I did my automatic trans fluid change in 2016. No way did I want to screw with the hose/pipe fitting or trans pan again to remove only a few ounces.

Your cold level should be consistent from reading to reading just like your hot level is. I take them both ways, and they just don't change. And it's much less "work" to check it cold to ensure level has stayed the same. Works for me, though your mileage may vary on a diff car.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
If you don't want to go through all the hassle of a pan removal again after only 200 miles, No way did I want to screw with the hose/pipe fitting or trans pan again to remove only a few ounces.

You dont remove the pan on Honda vehicles. They have a drain plug, and you drain 3.5 quarts at a time, replacing 3.5 quarts at a time. Easier than an oil change honestly.

I think you will be fine. If it was 2 quarts overfull or more, I would definitely get the excess out.

If the fluid shows signs of aeration, your level is too high and fluid is being churned by the rotating assembly. Keep that up very long and it's hello AAMCO, goodbuy$$$$$.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: carloz
I think you will be fine. If it was 2 quarts overfull or more, I would definitely get the excess out.

The transmission was replaced in my Odyssey in 2005. The owners manual states drain and refill is 3.5 qt and everything has been okay for the past 11 years using the 4 qt jug of Maxlife ATF. An extra half qt is the most I would go, not 1 qt or 1.5 qt, so to say you would drain out if it were "2 quarts overfull or more" is way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back