Should I do an oil analysis yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I'm thinking of having an oil analysis done in a few month's on my 2014 Mustang GT when the oil is due to be changed to see how my engine is doing as well as seeing if extended changes are fine for this particular engine. I'm running 5W-20 Motorcraft.

The car has about 10,500 miles on it and probably won't have more than 12,000 miles on it when I put it up for the winter. This oil change has been in since the car had 4,600 miles on it.

My main question is will there still be a lot of break-in metals in this oil change or did most of that get changed out at 4,600 miles. Should I wait to do an analysis after this next oil change? Thanks.

Wayne

I would not do one until after say 20k. Wear metals will still be up from break in and not much other than tbn and shearing will be useful.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Exactly why do you want to do an oil analysis ?

Really?!? It's in his first sentance!

Originally Posted By: wtd
I'm thinking of having an oil analysis done in a few month's on my 2014 Mustang GT when the oil is due to be changed to see how my engine is doing as well as seeing if extended changes are fine for this particular engine.

Last edited:
IMO it is nice to see wear metals coming down, so if $30 isn't a problem for you then yes, get one done.

Also since you plan to extend, you will establish a baseline of how your oil is doing at that distance and be able to proceed from there.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

Really?!? It's in his first sentance! sentence

I'm thinking of having an oil analysis done in a few month's on my 2014 Mustang GT when the oil is due to be changed to see how my engine is doing as well as seeing if extended changes are fine for this particular engine.
I have very good reading comprehension. I still would like to know exactly why ? Thought of a problem? lack of confidence in a Ford product. A need to see high break in wear metals? Lack of confidence in Fords oil change recommendations. Just wants to spend $30.00? Being in the market for a new vehicle these things interest me.

For further clarification, I don't think I have any engine problems but up until now, 5,000 miles is the longest I have ever gone on an oil change in any of my vehicles. Right now at about 5,900 miles on this oil change, I'm a little out of my comfort zone.

This is the second vehicle I have owned with an OLM and on the last one(2004 Monte Carlo SS supercharged) I didn't use it and just changed it once a year which was at about 3,000 miles.

I'm not saying that Ford doesn't know what they are doing with their oil change recommendations but I question whether this engine will really go up to 10,000 miles with a 5W-20 synthetic blend oil.

I have read a few other oil analysis results with the Ford 5.0 and the Motorcraft oil but that doesn't mean my results will be the same.

Based on the comments, I may just wait until after my third oil change to do one. Thanks for the input.

Wayne

I would do your first UOA on an oil change that starts after 20K. If you see high iron in the UOA, what are you going to do?

Until you can be sure none of the metal contaminants are break-in related, no sense in doing a UOA.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

Really?!? It's in his first sentance! sentence

I have very good reading comprehension. I still would like to know exactly why ? Thought of a problem? lack of confidence in a Ford product. A need to see high break in wear metals? Lack of confidence in Fords oil change recommendations. Just wants to spend $30.00? Being in the market for a new vehicle these things interest me.

If you DON'T do used oil analysis, then you ARE doing one of two things, neither of which is good. You are either throwing away good oil, or you have already damaged your engine. Pick one. The automobile manufacturers are depending on you.

Save your money unless you really want to extend oil drain. And with that car I would tell you to change the oil instead of the analysis.

Great ride BTW

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Save your money unless you really want to extend oil drain. And with that car I would tell you to change the oil instead of the analysis.

Great ride BTW

Thanks, it is a fun car. What oil change intervals would you suggest for this car. I don't hot rod it so I mostly do normal driving but I usually get on it pretty hard when passing people that are driving slow.

Wayne

I would rather change the oil for $30.00 than have the oil analysis for $30.00. Do the analysis at the 20,000 + mile oil change . New engines beat up the oil a bit more. look at the uoa postings to see for your self. It is good to put the pedal to the metal and make it roar, cleans out the crud and helps free up the rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back