New to oil analysis's. Need some opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is a 2008 Mustang V6 and my next oil change is at 50,000 miles. I am going to try a new oil to me because it was on sale at pep boys, royal purple. I don't want to start a like or dislike thread about oil products, I just have a question about the whole analysis idea. Whats a good way to get an idea of how my engine is doing? Should I do two consecutive UOA in a row, or do a VOA and one UOA? Im not looking to test each oil change, but I would like to know the health and state of my engine. Thanks and I appreciate the responses.

I'd run two consecutive changes of the RP and UOA the second.
This will give you an idea of how the oil works in your car as you use it.
The UOA should show you whether anything scary is in the oil, and make sure to get TBN done, which will give you some insight into how long you can run the oil in your car with your use.

I would, if only to use the first run to flush out what remains of whatever oil you used previously.
You want to see what remains of the RP, not the last oil you ran prior to it.

Good advice from fdcg.

Don't expect to get anything more than a blurry snapshot of your engine health from one UOA. You are only getting a snapshot at that moment. I also wouldn't get caught up in comparing UOAs and looking for joy or mental health. That's only useful when the comparison is an identical vehicle used in identical circumstances. Each UOA is a unique "footprint" for a particular vehicle in a particular circumstance. In other words, don't become a "PPMer," that starts crowing if his iron is 10 PPM lower than another's UOA, or hershey-squirting and changing oil brands endlessly because the iron is a few PPM higher than some other's.

Yep, the best use for a UOA is for determining oil health. I think it's best to do a VOA at the same lab that's doing the UOA, but it isn't absolutely necessary. That way, you see the starting points for the oil as measured on the same equipment and with the same methods that will be used for the UOA. Also gives you a picture of the new oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back