should i change my coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reservoir is running low on coolant and i was thinking that i should just flush for the heck of it but what is holding me back is that the temperature gauge at normal temperature, is lower than the middle mark. So i'm guessing the coolant now is doing its job? It's a green color one. Should i change and what should i change to?

Sure, if you have sufficient coolant for conditions, your guage will still read the usual. However, it's when conditions change significantly that you no longer have sufficient cooling going on. Also, depending upon exactly how low your level is, you could be sucking air through the water pump...not good for it.

FIRST, find out why the level is low. Fix the problem. Then follow the owner's manual about what kind of fluid to replace it with.

The manual says "you may use another major-brand non-silicate coolant as a temporary replacement. Make sure it is a high-quality coolant recommended for aluminum engines." I'm not sure if it's aluminum now because the car was crashed (im not original owner) and the radiator had to be changed.

Quote:

I like to do a simple drain and fill of the cooling system every 3 years instead of doing a oomplete flush.

For most people who have owned a vehicle from day one that is all that is needed. The manual for my Dodge says that as well.

What does the inside of the res look like? Gunk? Inside of the radiator cap? Coolant does more than just keep the car from overheating. Change it.

Has the temperature gauge always read at this mark? If the needle is colder than ususal, it would not mean that your coolant is doing an extraordinary job, but that your thermostat is going bad (stuck open). When the weather turns cold, you will have a hard time getting the engine to warm up. The temperature of the cooling system is regulated and should not read hotter or colder than normal.

something awkward happened when i change my coolant yesterday. after i drain the old coolant and flushed it with zerex, i drain and refill water until it came out clear. after that i begin to fill my radiator with honda OE blue fluid and it turned green! looks kinda gluey too. also im not sure if im doing it right but my car suppose to fit about 1.48 gallon but i barely got 1 gallon in there. open the radiator cap and started the engine so the air bubbles can come out but its coming out slowly and it takes forever! usually how long do i have to leave the car idle and the radiator cap out in order let all the air bubbles out?

If the thermostat is working properly it should open up fairly quickly to allow the fluid to flow...since you have 140K it maybe time for a change.

When you refill with water, you are supposed to start the car and run it till the thermostat opens up. Sounds like you still had a half gallon of the old coolant in there. That is why it changed colors. That is also why you did not have much air in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back