Should I bother with an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I would change the oil and filter once a year, and see if a thicker high mileage oil helps reduce consumption. I'd try MaxLife or Defy in 5W-30 in winter and 10W-30/40 in warmer temps...

That sounds like a good plan.

Why dont you try some Rotella 15W40 in the summer and see if it cleans up your rings. That oil in a 20L pail is $59 on sale (or maybe a 200L drum) and has high detergents. The thicker oil may help with consumption if the PVC doesn't do the job.

Last edited:
You still need to drain that pan hot at least once a year to get out insolubles and solids that may be left behind. Other than that, once a year changes with just top offs of high mileage oil and a new PCV.

Roger that guys, new PCV will be picked up monday if the dealership has one in stock then.

Also I do recall a member on here with a significantly higher mileage ECHO, and I believe his signature was (X)w-50 weight oil. I'll search around and double check.

I'll also do some searching on a piston soak. Might be a fun experiment.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have been using the Mobil Super High Mileage and although its not a thick high mileage oil it seems to work really well.

I am yet to find a Mobil brand high mileage oil here in Canada... Though I bet Napa could order it in if I wanted. How does the "High mileage" features of this oil compare to Valvoline or a SOPUS product high mileage oil?

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
with the total sump capacity being 3.9qt.

You answered your own question right there. You may be able to fudge a little bit with a sump capacity of 7 quarts, but not with 3.9 !

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have been using the Mobil Super High Mileage and although its not a thick high mileage oil it seems to work really well.

I am yet to find a Mobil brand high mileage oil here in Canada... Though I bet Napa could order it in if I wanted. How does the "High mileage" features of this oil compare to Valvoline or a SOPUS product high mileage oil?

Canadian Tire, Part Source, Napa, Auto Value, and Walmart carries Mobil S2K High Mileage (syn blend). It's on special every other month at CT. CT has also recently started carrying Mobil 1 High Mileage FS. Sometimes it's on special for $35 for a 4.4L jug.

Barwich told you some sources. Imperial Oil can also sell to you by the case lot, if you so choose. I have no experience with the new Mobil 1 HM, but I wasn't particularly satisfied with Mobil Super 2000 HM, when I last tried it. It was SM/GF-4, so wasn't thicker within the grade like some other options, and didn't do much to slow leaks on the old F-150, like the Valvoline MaxLife did. But, that's just my experience with it.

Change oil filter every 7000km and top up.

Drain the oil sump fully every 12 months, only change the oil filter if the 7000kms interval occurs at same time.

I would use the recommended and approved oil though for the changes.

You are right every 4000 miles you have done a full oil change.

At the consumption rate you are talking about anymore than this is waste of time and cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back