Should I be using a ZDDP Additive in a 2001 car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Lexus with a 4.3 V8 (3UZFE). The engine has a VVT-I cam timing system that uses two sets of lobes per valve, but as far as I can tell, does not have roller cam followers. I use ZZDP additive for my older flat tappet engines, but I was thinking about the Lexus and wondering if I should us it that car also. I have been using GM EOS in my older car but have heard rumors that they changed the formula to delete the zinc. So, what should I be using?
Thanks

I find it hard to believe that a 2001 engine with variable valve timing doesn't have roller followers. About the only thing left in 01 that didn't have roller followers was the Jeep 2.5/4.0 and the Rover v8- both pre-1990 designs (pre-1970 in the case of the Rover).

VVT and roller are unrelated. I find it surprising too, but the 2005 Camry/RAV4 2.4 do not have rollers, and my 08 Yaris 1NZ does not. Its hard to implement rollers on a compact DOHC - it adds complexity. Easily done on a pushrod engine where higher spring pressure may necessitate it's use. The spring pressure is laughably light in the 1NZ though; under 70LB OPEN IIRC.

Last edited:
I would guess no. On large displacment high nr of cylinder overpowered cars, it seems like the engine hardly ever needs to rev. Driving a '02 buick 3.8 v6 for example.. it stays under 1600 rpms most of the time hardly ever gets above 2000. plus, for cars designed at this age it was known EP stuff like zinc was going to be lowered.

I worry with zinc though for older cars, and cars that are under or appropriately powered where taking it to 4k rpm is a usual thing.

No.

That would really benefit performance type vehicles with valve trains that have high spring pressure.

Originally Posted By: Bill H2
I have a 2001 Lexus with a 4.3 V8 (3UZFE). The engine has a VVT-I cam timing system that uses two sets of lobes per valve, but as far as I can tell, does not have roller cam followers. I use ZZDP additive for my older flat tappet engines, but I was thinking about the Lexus and wondering if I should us it that car also. I have been using GM EOS in my older car but have heard rumors that they changed the formula to delete the zinc. So, what should I be using?
Thanks

You should be ok with an SM oil. If you are concerned however just pick up some API SL oil which will have higher levels of ZDDP. I believe SL was the API Service level in 2001 and you cans till get it.

You ARE using a ZDDP additive already.
Do you need more?
I severely doubt it.

Engines in passenger cars have roller or flat lifters/buckets/followers. That's it.
A flat lifter is not a death sentence.
They can look like new at 100K with modern oils.
It is all about how strong the springs are, and how fast the cam ramps are. The problems are with high performance cam systems.

Originally Posted By: Bill H2

There is about as much danger of overdoing it with ZDDP additives as doing without if not more. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Most of the current motor oils seem to be hitting 700-800 ppm phosphorus.

Three ounces of EOS per quart would raise that to something in the range of 1,100 ppm, which is more than any engine should need in a non-racing application.

Red Line break-in additive is more concentrated than EOS, and you'd get the same result with about 3/4 ounce per quart.

However, it's worth noting that non-elemental anti-wear additives, and others such as calcium and boron, provide a pretty substantial substitute for the removed ZDDP.

I am not using any kind of additives now. I usually use Castrol dyno oil. The engine is 4.3L, 300 HP with a 6500 RPM red line. Car has over 100K on the clock so I have to assume that if there was going to be any lubrication issues, they should have come up by now. I am checking on the cam followers, but I am sure they are not roller.
Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:
I add 2oz of ZDDPlus to each car I service. From UOAs it raises PP Zn/Phos to 1100-1200. It is not only the valvtrain that can benefit from this.
Do you need it,? probably not. Will it do any harm ? probably not

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
I add 2oz of ZDDPlus to each car I service. From UOAs it raises PP Zn/Phos to 1100-1200. It is not only the valvtrain that can benefit from this.
Do you need it,? probably not. Will it do any harm ? probably not

Steve

I agree,a oz or two will hurt nothing only help IMO

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

There is about as much danger of overdoing it with ZDDP additives as doing without if not more. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Most of the current motor oils seem to be hitting 700-800 ppm phosphorus.

Three ounces of EOS per quart would raise that to something in the range of 1,100 ppm, which is more than any engine should need in a non-racing application.

1100 ppm was the limit for SL oils so I don't think that is too much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back