Should auto parts stores have EV chargers

Auto parts stores parking lots are typically small and customers are in & out quick. Why bother. If you’re an employee and wanna run an extension cord to your EV if allowed, that makes sense.

You guys must think that installing a charger is like installing an outlet in your house or something🤣
It’s all easy peasy and cheap when it’s in your head.

Try pulling all the permits, installation, equipment etc. and it’s hundreds of thousand of “investment” for what exactly? A guy or two charging for 15 minutes every blue moon? Wouldn’t these people visit their dealer first anyways?

I've never been in a parts store for more than a couple of minutes in the last 10 years. It's a lot different getting parts now that I only have modern cars with warranties. I still buy all my detail supplies from O'Reilly's and dump my oil there though, but like mentioned that's too quick of a process for me to want to plug in.

I don’t think they should have chargers anymore than they should have gas pumps. Why would they want to tie up their parking lot?

Current electric vehicle, technology and lithium batteries is almost outdated before it even hits the road. The majority of Americans will never be electric vehicle lithium powered exclusive households.

Requiring any business to provide a service is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I don’t think they should have chargers anymore than they should have gas pumps. Why would they want to tie up their parking lot?

Current electric vehicle, technology and lithium batteries is almost outdated before it even hits the road. The majority of Americans will never be electric vehicle lithium powered exclusive households.

Requiring any business to provide a service is ridiculous.

I can't disagree at all with that last point. As been covered previously in this thread the cost is astronomical to buy a charger. Forcing any company to buy would likely require even more subsidies which is another problem. I've found with local businesses that those installing chargers own electric cars themselves, so they've found their own incentive to do so whether that's their own use or if it has enough benefit to attract electric car owners to their business.

What do y’all think? Should companies like the one I work for
I'd like to see it 4 another reason, that from which they might have developed the EV for initially/anyway.
Building 'the last mile' of the infastructure would be enhanced. THIS is the big prt of this switch-over, not the car. It could contribute to that. May B even the city (who else?, the 'using' co? the car manaf?) or another could contribute to some of the build out...

I can't disagree at all with that last point. As been covered previously in this thread the cost is astronomical to buy a charger. Forcing any company to buy would likely require even more subsidies which is another problem. I've found with local businesses that those installing chargers own electric cars themselves, so they've found their own incentive to do so whether that's their own use or if it has enough benefit to attract electric car owners to their business.
Good post.
Another thing that people don’t look at is the whole picture. For instance besides the cost of the charger who is going to pay additional insurance premiums in case somebody gets hurt on the property, who is going to police those chargers when groups of kids are hanging out, blasting radios, drinking while their cars are charging up?
God for bid when fights break out, shooting state place, all types of assaults. Who’s going to be responsible then?
Answer the property owner. This is why it will never happen.
Let’s keep one other point in mind, most auto parts stores property is leased property

Who is going to put their employees at risk to curtail that type of behavior?
Everything always sounds simple to force somebody else to do something instead of being free to make your own choice.
It always seems it’s somebody else willing to force somebody else to do something that they don’t have to do.

Last edited:
Would you really take the time to plug in your EV (assuming the charger is available, not currently occupied with an employee vehicle) if you’re just running in to buy wiper blades or detail products?

Nope I wouldnt bother. My goals is to get in and out in 5 minutes.

An auto parts store is one of the least appealing places to install a charger for clients.

Employees - sure.
We installed 4 levels 2s in our office.

I think they should all take used oil before they talk about whether they provide EV charger or not.
Then again if people would actually respect the rules of “no more than 5 gallons per person at a time” and “DIY retail customers only” not all these darn mobile “mechanics” the tank would never be full.

I think it's an idea before its time. Maybe once 30% of the vehicles are EV, but until then it's an additional expense passed onto customers, unless you charge for this service enough to break even.

If someone buys an EV, they already (better) have a charging strategy worked out. That's for employees, while customers can't be expected to be there long enough to bother unless there's a long line at the register and then I'd shop somewhere else instead. I can't recall the last time I spent more than 5 minutes in a parts store, except that time I had Pep Boys install tires and they were real jerks about my not buying the tires from them, were not busy at all but took over 3 hours to do the work... and then the vehicle was in a bay, not where chargers would likely be located.

Delivery vehicles is a different story, think if that makes financial sense, should be a charger for that but then not for customer use unless it works out that there is enough vacant time to allow it.

Auto Parts stores? No. Hotels & motels? Yes, please.

I just rented a Jeep Wrangler 4xe (PHEV) last week, which comes stock with a Level-1 Charger, and it gets up 21 miles on a fully-charged battery. As a rental, a PHEV with limited battery range doesn't make sense, unless you can fast-charge w/Level-2 Charger overnight, or top-off during the day.

I drive ICE gas vehicles and go to the dealer for parts before an auto parts store

I’m sure most EV owners would be the same way

I view parts stores as the 5 year old or more used car clientele. Not a fairly new vehicle especially an EV

Back