Short trip oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I both drive short distances to work (less than three miles with 8-9 traffic signals). The majority of the other vehicle trips are also very short, ie to the kids school, soccer practice, games, neighborhood stores, etc.

The total mileage each car averages is approximalty 10,000 miles/yr. Both are newer Toyotas.

WHAT OIL, FILTER AND CHANGE INTERVAL WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

Thanks!

Both my wife and I have similar drivung habits. Everyone here will tell you to take a longer route. heh. well I cant. So i change every 3k with Valvaline Duralblend 10w-30 in both my 02 Dodge 1500 and the wifes 03 Hyundai Sonata LX V6. I use napa gold filters on both. With such nasty driving habits I dont believe there is any oil that is going to get me huge milage. We do drive the vehicles in to town (140 - 160 mile round trip) from time to time to run the motors out when we need groceries or what not. So i would use a good quality Dino and 3k changes IMHO.

I may be WAY off base but I tend to go for a good base package then great adds. You can't have one with out the other to make a great oil. Heck didn't soemone post a letter from Amsoil just a bit ago about there concern of a good base over there adds pack? You really cant go wrong and long as you do 2 things.

1. change with 3k changes and a good dino.

or

2. use a syn and do UOA's.

As long as you just take care of your car properly dont sweat it.

Mulepacker,

welcome.gif

On to the topic at hand...I believe the most desirable trait in an oil that sees service conditions like this is a high TBN (Total Base Number) to help neutralize fuel and water that aren't completely burned off during operation. A 5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic HDEO (Amsoil HDD, Delvac1, Rotella-T) would seem to be the best best for the highest level of protection (remember, we're oil nuts here!)

With that said though, I believe if you run a good quality mineral (Chevron, Pennzoil) or synthetic (Mobil, Amsoil, etc..) and change on a "severe service" schedule, you'll be good to go.

For filters...Wix would be good, or Purolator for economy filter. K&N also is good.

Oil: Mobil1 5W-30 or 10W-30, both will work well in CA

Change interval: every 5K miles

Filter: Toyota Denso filter 90915-20004 or even 90915-YZBB5, both made in Japan. Even if you have 6 or 4 cylinder car you can use that filter since threads are the same, it is just bigger.

The reasoning behind recommendation is that M1 oils are easy to get OTC at a good price, interval is safe in this driving conditions and the filter is one of the best you can find and can be found at any Lexus/Toyota dealership or online at a great price.

Starbreaker666,

I should at least give you credit for keeping up maintanance on your vehicles...

With that said though, if your looking for optimum protection, your definitely using the wrong oil, at least on two accounts.

1. Valvoline - Weak additive packages, and I'll argue it's base oil technology doesn't match that of Chevron or Pennzoil.

2. Durablend - You pay twice the price for and oil that isn't worth it (Just like Castrol FakeTec...well, with the exception of GC!)

But, hey, if you like the stuff, keep on using...just giving you my two cents.

With very short trips like this, I'd have to say that a 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic oil would work the best, changed every 6 months. Think about it, a 5w20 oil that hasn't reached full operating temperature will still be thicker than a 5w30 that's fully warmed up. But that 5w30 might spend more time being in the temperature range where it's too thick if it's never allowed to be fully warmed up.

We are in the same short trip boat. Synthetics are a waste of money here. My pick is Motorcraft conventional every 2500 miles or 4 months.
grin.gif

[ September 18, 2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Chris ]

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
We are in the same short trip boat. Synthetics are a waste of money here. My pick is Motorcraft conventional every 2500 miles or 4 months.
grin.gif

I could not have said it better myself! I think the key is to treat these numbers as absolute maximums. I.e., change BEFORE 2500 miles / 4 months
twak.gif

I'm with vvk & Chris. Use a moderately priced oil with a good reputation here (I like Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme) then change it and the filter frequently ... 3,000 miles max.

I'm not too picky about filter choice with these short intervals. Avoid Fram.

The short intervals would be worse for you if you lived in a climate which got colder ... or one with more moisture in the air.

--- Bror Jace

mulepacker,
I think it all boils down to comfort level. With your vehicles, I'd say any SL rated oil should go 3k miles easy. If you want to extend to 5k miles, then step up to Jelly's suggestion of a diesel-style dino oil. 10k mile changes? Any premium full syn (Mobil, Amsoil) or Group III diesel oil (Shell) & maybe one or two semi-syns (Schaeffer's or Saab's OE?) would take you that far without a problem.

Do a search on this BB for "aunt" & you'll find several threads which refer to a Mobil 1 short-trip/extended-drain test (it's been called both "Aunt Minnie" & "Aunt Millie"). Basically, the oil was claimed to survive under more severe conditions than what you've got.

Your driving habits sound about like ours, & I'm comfortable running Mobil 1 (or Mobil's Delvac 1, if cost & availability were closer to M1) for 10k miles/1yr in my turbo engine. My UOA at almost half-way shows the 0W-40 pretty beat up, but not enough to worry that my engine's not being protected for the remainder of the year.

I like Patman's theory of using a thinner oil for a car that sees all cold engine, short trip service, but I'm not willing to try it in my turbo. (Maybe he'll give it try this winter & let us know how it fares?)

With my non-turbo car, I've only put about 4k miles on it in the past year. I started out with M1 15W-50, but my two top-ups (about 4oz each) have been with M1 10W-30 & Saab semi syn 5W-30. Once I reach 5k miles (another 3+ mos?) I'll change the filter & run a UOA, then take this same batch out to 10k miles.

quote:

I like Patman's theory of using a thinner oil for a car that sees all cold engine, short trip service, but I'm not willing to try it in my turbo. (Maybe he'll give it try this winter & let us know how it fares?)

I never do short trips though. When I start my car, it gets driven at least 25 miles before I shut it off (with one exception, on the weekends when I start it and move it and the engine is run for about 45-60sec at the most)

My mom would be a perfect candidate for a test like this, but she'll be buying my sister's car soon, which has been running on GC 0w30 for the last two intervals, so my plan is to continue with this oil but I'll change it this October, and then only once a year after this. Perhaps when they stop importing GC, that's when I'll do the 5w20 (or 0w20) test. We can't get 0w20 M1 here yet though.

Well agree with above psoter a bit that any SL rated will go 3k. There is a ton of brand loyalty around including me..=) I get Valve DB for 1.75$ a quart out here...

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
I think you are better off with frequent 3K-mile oil changes with conventional oil; synthetic is a waste of money in this case. I'd go with a 0w20 or a 5w30, depending on OEM recommendations. Good brands are Mobil Drive Clean, Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, and Havoline. Most any filter is OK, except for Fram.

Wow no mentioning of Castrol GTX, which I was under the impression that it is one of the best dino oil out there??

Maybe I need a lecture on this...

I think you are better off with frequent 3K-mile oil changes with conventional oil; synthetic is a waste of money in this case. I'd go with a 0w20 or a 5w30, depending on OEM recommendations. Good brands are Mobil Drive Clean, Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, and Havoline. Most any filter is OK, except for Fram.

quote:

Originally posted by williar:

0w-20 mineral oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back