Short OCI or Extended OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas. Long time lurker, new member. I have a few questions regarding OCI's. Here is my situation.
I have 2 vehicles. A 1993 Chevy Silverado 5.7, with about 160,000 miles. And a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4.3, with 192,000 miles. I've been running Quaker State HM 5W-30 in both, with a quality filter.
The thing is, that I have a short commute to work. And when I say short, it's less than 2 miles. Sometimes the Blazer doesn't even get up to operating temp on the guage. I try to alternate between the 2 vehicles. About once or twice, every 2 weeks, they get an extended drive on the highway, for about 30 - 45 minutes.
It has been about 5 months since the last OC, and I have about 1000 miles on each vehicle. I was planning on doing 6 month OCI's regardless of mileage. Is 6 months too soon? Should I extend them out to a year? With the short trips, I figured the 6 month OCI would be a good idea. What do you guys think? Thanks

Larry

From one Larry to another, I'm in the same boat.I drive 2 and a half miles to work everyday. And, as a former southerner, I know that OKC can get pretty cold due to the wind, humidity and temps.

Because you are doing the 45ish minute highway trips every two weeks, you should be o.k with an extended OCI. Particularly if you are only doing 1000 miles in six months. I would go one year OCI's.

You might want to consider a full synthetic for the cold flow start up protection. Quaker Stated Ultimate Duty can be had at Wally World for about $20 for a five quart container. I plan on using it on my next oil change and going to a once per year oci.

Last edited:
I would run them out for the year and do a uoa. Does the oil smell like its got alot of gas contamination?

"Because you are doing the 45ish minute highway trips every two weeks, you should be o.k with an extended OCI. Particularly if you are only doing 1000 miles in six months. I would go one year OCI's."

+1

Originally Posted By: Shark
I would run them out for the year and do a uoa. Does the oil smell like its got alot of gas contamination?

I'm not sure of the smell. I'll check that out tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Bicycles? I'm two miles from my work, and the bicycle has kept my car nd health in order. Just a thought.

That's a great thought. One I had, too. Unfortunately, in my line of work, I need a vehicle.

Other than that, you guys think a 1 year OCI is "good enough"? Any specific time of the year to do it? (Spring?, Fall?) And I have quite a stash of the Quaker State HM oil, as well as some Pennzoil HM, and a few jugs of Maxlife HM. So, I'll probably stick with that stuff, instead of the synthetics. Thanks

Larry

I guess this is where I come in and be the odd ball. I would change it every 6 months . Because. Firstly its not real expensive. If your vehicle is not getting up to operating temp its running richer when its running cold and doing that on a regular basis isn't good. Its severe conditions also running short trips doesn't burn off excess moisture. And last but not least while changing your oil is a great time to grease front end and u joints spray your hinges and give everything a visual check. Both your vehicles have some miles on them granted they will both run triple what they got on them. Vehicles with over 100,000 in my opinion need checks more often . Both your vehicles are bad for suspension parts so I say change it atleast twice a year and be glad to know your in a well oiled safe machine. I see no reason to do it once a year. Just my .2 cents

I drive about 2000 miles a year and did the research on oil changes. Mobil’s site says the short trips are ok if you have at least 1 good drive every 3 months to boil out the condensed water.

I have also seen posts here from others who put very few miles on and got UOA’s and determined that they could go 2 or 3 years with no problem, and with dumb luck i found the thread on it here.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2434513

To sum things up, it would be foolish to change your oil more than once a year. And you could easily go 2 years and probably 3 if you wanted to. Assuming you use a good oil, notice the 2 and 3 year guys are using an HDEO. I am using M1 HM 5W-30 and will do 1 year oil changes, not that i have to, but 1 year is easy to remember and i enjoy cutting open my oil filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back