Shopping for a new Syn Blend 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
plenty on the shelf to pick from, good luck pondering over OCD nonsense.

OCD nonsense? Last I checked this was an oil forum. Ya know, for oil questions. Nearly every oil question is nonsense as 99% of the oil sold in stores will work perfectly for 99% of the population in 99% of their applications. Don't belittle people just because you're apparently above the opinion of others, which is exactly why BITOG exists.

Great way of putting it.
01.gif

Since GTX Synblend is being discontinued,I wonder if Walmart will be carrying Magnatec in 5 quart jugs?

Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
plenty on the shelf to pick from, good luck pondering over OCD nonsense.

OCD nonsense? Last I checked this was an oil forum. Ya know, for oil questions. Nearly every oil question is nonsense as 99% of the oil sold in stores will work perfectly for 99% of the population in 99% of their applications. Don't belittle people just because you're apparently above the opinion of others, which is exactly why BITOG exists.

welome to BITOG, where you'll find both sides of the fence my easy-to-offend friend. any more OCD questions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Since GTX Synblend is being discontinued,I wonder if Walmart will be carrying Magnatec in 5 quart jugs?

I have wondered that same thing, so far it is not showing up on the website and they still list the Synblend at full price.

AAP has the Magnatec on sale at the moment, if they will give me a cartridge filter for the KIA in that OCI deal it's a good price but who knows how long till they run it again.

Me and my bride were at our local Walmart Super Store this afternoon. They still had the Castrol Semi-syn in quart bottles and five quart jugs. No Magnatec in sight. I actually took a quart bottle, and a five quart jug, to one of those price scanners they have throughout the store hoping they would come up to a cheap, closeout like price due to its discontinued status. No luck. Both came up at full retail posted price. The quart was $4.97. The jug was $18.49.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048

Me and my bride were at our local Walmart Super Store this afternoon. They still had the Castrol Semi-syn in quart bottles and five quart jugs. No Magnatec in sight. I actually took a quart bottle, and a five quart jug, to one of those price scanners they have throughout the store hoping they would come up to a cheap, closeout like price due to its discontinued status. No luck. Both came up at full retail posted price. The quart was $4.97. The jug was $18.49.
We will need to keep our eyes on this.

Lol!

I am still looking pretty broadly and those interest me, but in 5w30.

Only 5w20 I would consider for our use would be something top tier and near shear proof like Gold bottle Edge.

I've had no complaints running 5w20 in the Sonata...even with conventional VWB.

Im kind of in the same boat but was leaning toward MC, now not so sure seeing some comments on the stuff. ST full syn stack up against the big boys full syn?

Been running pennzoil Syn blend and it works for me....but I drive a Toyota, it can run on cat pee!

I really would like to know what Pennzoil Syn Blends add pack looks like!

Last edited:
My vote is for Pennzoil Syn blend, all levels of Pennzoil have great additive packages when tested. I have used this oil but currently use the QS Syn Blend as I change closer to 3k.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063

I really would like to know what Pennzoil Syn Blends add pack looks like!

Me too! I can't believe for all the people here that run it no one has done a UOA. If it had PYB's add pack with a 50% syn base it'd be the steal of the oil aisle.

I've always wondered why Walmart doesn't sell Valvoline Durablend? Whatever happened to Quaker State Enhanced Durability synthetic blend?

Well I bought the Magnatec.

I tried to resist it's pull but no dice. For some reason I have long been a sucker for Castrol products.

I went into AZ with my $20 gift card burning a hole in my pocket and much to my surprise there it was, Magnatec in 3 wieghts, but at some outrageous price. After finding nothing else of interest I hauled it and an expensive KIA cartridge filter ($11.99) up to the counter and asked them if they would price match AAP's $24.99 OCI special. Well by golly they would! Out the door I went with my prize, and OCI's worth of Magnatec 5w30.

No older Castrol synblend in sight by the way, I imagine the Magnatec was in it's former place.

Since the Magnatec is new I should be able to run it consistently for quite a while without problem. And if Castrol can live up to their start up wear protection hype, this oil should be a good choice for our short tripped van.

Thanks all for your input and help!

I've always wondered why Walmart doesn't sell Valvoline Durablend? Whatever happened to Quaker State Enhanced Durability synthetic blend?

Down here, no Durablend at WM either, but we do get QSED...$16.×× / jug.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well I bought the Magnatec.

I tried to resist it's pull but no dice. For some reason I have long been a sucker for Castrol products.

I went into AZ with my $20 gift card burning a hole in my pocket and much to my surprise there it was, Magnatec in 3 wieghts, but at some outrageous price. After finding nothing else of interest I hauled it and an expensive KIA cartridge filter ($11.99) up to the counter and asked them if they would price match AAP's $24.99 OCI special. Well by golly they would! Out the door I went with my prize, and OCI's worth of Magnatec 5w30.

No older Castrol synblend in sight by the way, I imagine the Magnatec was in it's former place.

Since the Magnatec is new I should be able to run it consistently for quite a while without problem. And if Castrol can live up to their start up wear protection hype, this oil should be a good choice for our short tripped van.

Thanks all for your input and help!

My soft spots are for Valvoline and Castrol. Keep us posted.
wink.gif

Whatever happened to Quaker State Enhanced Durability synthetic blend?

Up here, at least, the bar codes for QSED were exactly the same as current bar codes for Defy.

Hi KCJeep, our Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-20 would be the ideal motor oil for your 2012 Kia Sedona. It meets or exceeds the engine protection required by ILSAC GF-5 and is specially formulated to provide extra protection against the harmful effects of stop-and-go driving and high and low-temperature engine operation. - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back