Shop messed up valve cover gasket fix

This bothers me, what the heck did they use? If they used a gasket then at most a little high tack is all that is needed to hold it in place for installation and once its bolted down it needs no time to dry.
I have a sickening feeling these guys may have used RTV either on the old gasket or in place of a gasket god forbid. This engine uses an almost $50 cover gasket that are not readily available aftermarket, it seems to be a dealer item.

Edit: If they did either of these things they would deserve more than an earful.

This is a very good point and the OP should directly look into this

I have a sickening feeling these guys may have used RTV either on the old gasket or in place of a gasket god forbid. This engine uses an almost $50 cover gasket that are not readily available aftermarket, it seems to be a dealer item.
I think you uncovered the mystery. Never would have thought a valve cover gasket for as common of a car as a CR-V is would be that unavailable. A quick check of local parts stores shows no stock and 4-5 days to get, Rockauto has none, and so on....

I think you uncovered the mystery. Never would have thought a valve cover gasket for as common of a car as a CR-V is would be that unavailable. A quick check of local parts stores shows no stock and 4-5 days to get, Rockauto has none, and so on....

I had a shop used RTV on a car for a valve cover gasket because two days after, I saw the RTV coming out on the corner by Cylinder #4. Looked like Permatex Red to me. It does happen.

You would think a valve cover gasket would be a simple enough thing, but shops like to save time and hope it will be okay. Not every shop but when a mechanic puts RTV when a gasket is not that hard to get, and they usually arent, Fel Pro for a VC should be just fine.. Time to find a new shop.

As to the availability, I would throw Amazon into the mix. May not help you if you need the part RIGHT NOW, which happens plenty of times... but it is a good resource.

I had a shop used RTV on a car for a valve cover gasket because two days after, I saw the RTV coming out on the corner by Cylinder #4. Looked like Permatex Red to me. It does happen.
On some older Honda valve cover jobs, even Honda says to put a dab of 'goo' in the corners where the gasket makes the half-circle drop. Could that be similar to what was done on yours or was yours done with no gasket at all and only RTV ?

On some older Honda valve cover jobs, even Honda says to put a dab of 'goo' in the corners where the gasket makes the half-circle drop. Could that be similar to what was done on yours or was yours done with no gasket at all and only RTV ?

I am suspecting full RTV based on that car being in there a short time and the shop becoming frustrated with it, as in.. RTV would have ensured a comeback for more stuff, and more money. I suspect the corner was cut.

They simply didn't do a very good repair job. The hope is that whatever they did will work.

It is presently just sitting to be passed on to a new shop to see what is really going on, no more guessing or parts cannon-ing. I think the shops get greedy on the money.

EDIT: The D16Z6 heads probably have better airflow and oiling than the Y8 after it, though this is debatable. I would probably like a Z6 but maybe next time get an H22.

This bothers me, what the heck did they use? If they used a gasket then at most a little high tack is all that is needed to hold it in place for installation and once its bolted down it needs no time to dry.

Edit: If they did either of these things they would deserve more than an earful.

You have to use a small amount on the front and back of engine where the timing chain cover meets the head, and another small dab on the opposite side of the cover where it rises up, right at the corners. This is as per factory instructions.

Amazing, doesn't anyone check their work? Having said that I doubt you did any damage. I would however want it fixed and to be reimbursed for the tow and the oil added to the engine. Then I'd make sure I baby sat the vehicle to make sure there's no monkey business when they do the work over again. Certain individuals don't take criticism well, especially when it comes with a price tag.

My sister’s Cruze popped check engine light. Its the stupid valve cover/integrated pcv valve. Its freakin cold at the time and I am busy at work. I say, just take it to this (reputable) shop. They put a new valve cover on. I get a call next day about smell of oil burning. I look behind valve cover and there are pools of oil on intake manifold. “Take it back.”. She calls me next day and says they tell her oil pan gasket is leaking, not their work from earlier. I told her “yes, small leak in oil pan gasket for years, thats not the cause of the oil smell. Tell him to look behind valve cover.” They have her leave the car, hear nothing for two days. I go down there and ask whats going on “tech says its the oil pan gasket.” I look behind valve cover everything is clean. I ask for the keys, go on the highway for 5 minutes, return to shop, bring service writer out, get a flashlight and show him oil all over the back of engine pouring out of valve cover. “Oh, we’ll have to fix that”. “Thank you”

A couple years ago I had successfully replaced the very same valve cover gasket (it had started to leak) myself. Follow instructions in shop manual, dont go hog wild with gasket sealer at seams, all is well. Like said above, a lot of times when someone else does your work you get screwed.

Hmm...not seeing my outcome post...guess it went to the post scrapyard or something.

So...the shop owner was as apologetic as you could hope for, they fixed it and thoroughly cleaned it up. Seems to run fine...no odd noises, He said if anything crops up down the road they would fully stand behind it. He changed the oil & filter and gave me $25 to replace the oil I’d added, even though I’d only used half a 5-gallon.

Oh, and he said what happened was the gasket got pinched in one place. Said that’s kind of an easy thing to have happen, but it should not have happened and they should have caught that it did.

So...about as good as you could hope for I guess, once the issue has occurred. Was hoping I was right that these were good guys I’ve been doing business with for years. But this was the first time that had been put to a real test.

so I’m giving them an A for problem handling, and hopefully we won’t have anything crop up later.

thanks all for the responses, and sorry for inadvertently leaving you hanging.

CapitalTrucks, good luck with your situation!

Back