Shop Light Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick
No flicker with T8 bulbs, they use electronic ballasts.

Are you sure that is true, even in colder temperatures? I see you are in coastal California. You may not see the sort of cold temperatures they have elsewhere in the country.

While electronic ballasts are better, I have heard complaints that they still don't do well in cold garages.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: tom slick
No flicker with T8 bulbs, they use electronic ballasts.

Are you sure that is true, even in colder temperatures? I see you are in coastal California. You may not see the sort of cold temperatures they have elsewhere in the country.

While electronic ballasts are better, I have heard complaints that they still don't do well in cold garages.

From what I understand, flicker is a function of frequency. Electronic ballasts use a frequency much faster than our brains can notice.

T8 definitely doesn't flicker like T12. I'm sure cheap ballasts perform sub par but a good ballast won't flicker, even in a freezer.

Does a 18*F low qualify as cold enough?

I use several halogen fixtures across my workbench in the shop. They're plugged into outlets controlled by switches so I can turn one, two or all of them on at the same time.

I picked these up at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore several years ago for $5/fixture. I don't have to worry about them lighting if I go out to the shop and look for something in sub-zero weather. They provide quality, flicker free light; especially important when I'm working on something with small parts such as a carburetor or rebuilding a generator.

In the 15 or so years I've had them up I haven't had to replace a bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back