Shipping batteries?

After a few stories I have heard today, it has me second guessing. I ordered a AC Delco battery from Summit Racing (was a good deal) with a few other things. Sadly , the battery only made it half way to me before it ended up broken. SR ordered me up another one which I should get in a week or so (it was on back order). When I mentioned to some people, the stories I got back were not good. Broken or old batteries seem to be the issue. Nearly got yelled at for not just going to Walmart to pick one up...lol. But in this story I do have a question- what has been your experience in ordering automotive batteries online? Good? Bad? Smarter to just cancel? The good news I am not in a hurry to get it ( the other battery is being replaced because of age-10 years old!), the price seems to be worth the wait. My biggest worry here is simply not getting my battery as it will keep getting damaged in delivery......

My biggest problem with doing that is, who's gonna warranty the battery if needed? Not many places will warranty a online battery...

I have purchased two Odyssey Extreme batteries on Amazon. Came in very sturdy, thick walled packaging directly from Odyssey. No issues whatsoever.

Yeah I'd only consider a AGM battery to be shipped.

Sounds like others have had good results from shipping a Odyssey battery. Though they should... Those batteries are super duper AGM batteries. That are rather pricey.

My biggest problem with doing that is, who's gonna warranty the battery if needed? Not many places will warranty a online battery...
Being an AC Delco battery, thinking I could warranty at a GM dealership..... Worse came there would be Walmart.

Is it an agm battery? If it is just a flooded one I would worry about it tipping over and leaking all the acid out.
Sadly, a flooded battery. Kinda hoping a big company like Summit would ship stuff much better than Walmart or Amazon....

Yeah I'd only consider a AGM battery to be shipped.

Sounds like others have had good results from shipping a Odyssey battery. Though they should... Those batteries are super duper AGM batteries. That are rather pricey.
I thought about getting a AGM....but the car itself doesn’t get out that much. when it does get out it would be fine, but it also can sit months at a time too. Wondering if I would have to trickle charge it too at some point....

I just recently bought two AGM batteries from RockAuto.

Both batteries are Group 94 (H7) that I got for my 2015 Ram 1500 (I had enough of the weak Group 49 that, while larger, did not crank my truck over in even the mildly cold weather of Northern MN, aka 20 above), and got an AC Delco in the correct size. I put the mouse fur OEM battery blanket on it and put it back to what it should be.

The other Group 94 went into my mom’s Mini Cooper. Funny that her little 3 cylinder uses the same size battery as my Hemi. 😎. She got an Exide AGM.

My battery arrived in a couple of days packed in a box filled with thick cardboard panels. The battery was firmly packed and couldn’t move an inch so it arrived safely. I put in on the charger just to top it off and installed it. No issues at all.

The Exide for mom’s Mini took a long, rambling route with a couple overnight stays with FedEx due to the winter storms hitting Pennsylvania last month. It arrived in a large box filled with air bag packing that allowed it to slide around freely inside. Completely opposite from how mine arrived. Hers came from NJ, and mine out of IL, so there isn’t a consistent process for packing up orders apparently.

Hers was fine though, so I charged it for a while and installed. No issues there either.

Point? Even the worst packed battery made it through cr#ppy weather and an even worse packing job intact. I don’t know about Summit Racing, but my RockAuto battery purchase shipped in with TAX was even less than a locally available AGM from Menards. YMMV disclaimer. 😉

I would just want to get one locally. I have no problem taking the first couple out to grab the most recent one in the back. I've read reviews on Amazon where they send you old batteries so I wouldn't bother with buying one online. Plus there is the warranty issue although now you only get 3-4 years on the warranty and they usually last 6-8 years in this area or longer.

I just recently bought two AGM batteries from RockAuto.
What was the date code on the batteries? I would prefer a JCI/Clarios over an Exide. I'll need an H8 eventually, just waiting for a decent sale, best price is about $195 at Pepboys with a 4 year warranty on a Champion which is a JCI/Clarios battery.

I would just want to get one locally. I have no problem taking the first couple out to grab the most recent one in the back. I've read reviews on Amazon where they send you old batteries so I wouldn't bother with buying one online. Plus there is the warranty issue although now you only get 3-4 years on the warranty and they usually last 6-8 years in this area or longer.

What was the date code on the batteries? I would prefer a JCI/Clarios over an Exide. I'll need an H8 eventually, just waiting for a decent sale, best price is about $195 at Pepboys with a 4 year warranty on a Champion which is a JCI/Clarios battery.
Didn’t look, it didn’t matter much.. they both work better than what was in each vehicle and that’s what works for me.

I won’t get obsessed with dates or who made it until I get repeated failures, then I don’t use that brand again. I’ve had no problems with any battery brand, but then I regularly check and clean connections and the battery itself.

Back