Shell VPower Premium Unleaded with FMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Ignoring the rest of your rant there, if 10% of 'ethanol' is added by volume then obviously there will be less room for additives. Simple math, right?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Ignoring the rest of your rant there, if 10% of 'ethanol' is added by volume then obviously there will be less room for additives. Simple math, right?

Actually, not so simple, for a couple reasons. Mix one litre of pure ethanol with one litre of pure water. Your mix will not be two litres. Also, different substances dissolve in different ways in the same solvent. Grab a cup of coffee. Dump in sugar until it's saturated. You can still dissolve cream in it, or salt, or Equal, with no problem. The coffee itself doesn't precipitate out, either, when it's saturated with something else, like sugar.

Originally Posted By: D.K.
You are totally clueless. Gasoline is a commodity. Top Tier fuel is nothing more than a marketing. You do not understand simple chemistry. You are the one that needs to get educated and stop spouting stupid [censored] that you read on the internet. You do not understand how gasoline is distributed from refineries.

Do you know why Gas Retailers started reducing the amount of additives in gasoline? Saving Money was part of the reason, but not the sole reason.

You offer nothing to this conversation.

I understand EXACTLY how gasoline is REFINED and DISTRIBUTED. If you care to share your mounds of knowledge on the subject, please do. I will be ready with FACTS to knock it down. Otherwise, stop wasting everyone's time with your pointless posts.

Your offer nothing of use to the thread.

Yes all gas/oil is a commodity. That has no bearing on Top Tier fuels.

Not far from me is the Sunoco refinery, Belmont Terminal. I have talked to two people that work at that refinery about how fuel is distributed, all kinds of unmarked tankers are in & out, my question was about the additive rack, who gets what, very discreet about it, so it's almost impossible to know what formulations the gas stations are getting and how much is in the mix. I would think that what ever the minimum standard is that is what is going out to the generic stations,as far as the name brands go, they might or might not be getting a better additive formula, no way to tell, keep in mind marketing and profits come first.

RG

Min required adds will keep your fuel system clean.

Where is the data to support your opinion?

I posted this before:

As usual, a lot of speculation.

Gasoline is made of two parts:

1. EPA regionally mandated base gas that is generic
2. Additives

As a result, you see same tankers going to both generic and branded stations because the BASE gas is the same and additives are added. Sometimes, they are added prior, but the additive makes the brand the brand.

The additive type/amount and cleanliness of the station's tanks are the only two differentiation factors.

Cleanliness of the tanks is only a factor for short term drivability plugging the fuel filter causing hesitation.

Additives are what prevent carbon build up over time. This is what matters.

Checking the studies done by the car makers is easy - google Top Tier and World Wide Fuel Charter or look at SAE papers on this.

Better additives matter once the car has 50k miles or more and you plan to keep it beyond 100k.

I have personally seen what low additive fuel can do in fleets.

I like Shell. And so do my cars.
hooked.gif

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
You are totally clueless. Gasoline is a commodity. Top Tier fuel is nothing more than a marketing. You do not understand simple chemistry. You are the one that needs to get educated and stop spouting stupid [censored] that you read on the internet. You do not understand how gasoline is distributed from refineries.

Do you know why Gas Retailers started reducing the amount of additives in gasoline? Saving Money was part of the reason, but not the sole reason.

You offer nothing to this conversation.

I understand EXACTLY how gasoline is REFINED and DISTRIBUTED. If you care to share your mounds of knowledge on the subject, please do. I will be ready with FACTS to knock it down. Otherwise, stop wasting everyone's time with your pointless posts.

Your offer nothing of use to the thread.

Yes all gas/oil is a commodity.

You can continue on with ignorant bliss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back