Shell stations stopped adverising Nitrogen gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation, but it appears as though the Shell stations around South Houston & Pasadena, Texas have taken down their signs about Nitrogen treated gasoline. Has anyone else noticed this in other cities/states as well?

Some stations down here have taken their signs down.

I knew that advertising gimmick for nitrogen enriched gas wasn't going to last very long. Especially when it was more expensive than Chevron, BP and Mobil.

Maybe there is a new Point-of-Purchase display package coming in with even more marketing.

Originally Posted By: adamg
Still seeing the commercials here.
+1

Also all the stations near me have the "Nitrogen" banners wrapped around the signs still.

I think it's a marketing thing. Maybe they are trying to see if sales change any by playing around with their ads and banners. It's all business with these oil companies.

Must be a michigan thing, but 9 out of 10 times Shell gas is the same, IF NOT cheaper than other gas including "discount" gas like Meijer.

Thank god cuz with their advertisment I can't aford Shell gas anyway. Current price in my hood is: $3.90/regular
$3.95/mid-grade
$3.99/supreme

Now come on Shell!!!??? How can anyone try/buy your gasoline when the gas station charges these prices? You didn't know this was happening???

Durango

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Ours is the same price as every other station here...

Yep, but it seems we pay more at ALL our stations than our southern neighbours!

Oh well, I never go to Shell anyways, they're kinda rare in the Toronto area. It's pretty much all Esso, Sunoco and Petro-Canada. I've actually seen a few Shells close down around here.

That's government taxes for you... If you want to see just how much we are getting gouged drive to your nearest Native Indian reserve where they list the price without the taxes in there... It's shocking! like $0.20/litre cheaper! ($0.88/Gal cheaper)

I live 20 minutes from a reserve, and I can buy gas there at the discounted price if my partner is with me. His family has native heritage and so he has a card for exemption.

Shell sells premium unleaded here for 50 cents per gallon more than regular unleaded. $0.50 more per gallon!

No thanks. They can keep their rare nitrogen.
wink.gif

I'll go to Meijer where premium (93 octane) is 20 cents more per gallon than 87 octane, and their gasoline gives me the best MPG.

I had noticed also the Shell station in my hood doesn't advertise the Nitrogen stuff either anymore. Perhaps people have caight on to the price difference and it's gasoline value.

I admit I would try it for a month BUT that price is VERY BIG joke! Their price is so high they can't compete.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
I had noticed also the Shell station in my hood doesn't advertise the Nitrogen stuff either anymore. Perhaps people have caight on to the price difference and it's gasoline value.

I admit I would try it for a month BUT that price is VERY BIG joke! Their price is so high they can't compete.

Durango

Same price as everyone else here in KC. Though there are several High Profile Shell and BP station on prime real estate that do charge a bit more, maybe 2¢ more.

One of the two Shell stations has a giant balloon on top of their pump overhead cover advertising the nitrogen enriched gas

The stations by where I live were around the same price as other brands and it said nitrogen was in every grade of gas not just premium.

Even though 87 costs a bit more (maybe 10c more/gal typical) in WA, I tried it over the past several days (just came home from a road trip, tried Texaco, 76-conoco-philips, Chevron and Shell along the way), I must tell you though my wifey's 2AZ-FE simply luvs Shell 87 gas more so than 76, or Chevron. Coincidence? I don't know....I'm too cheep to use anything higher than 87 to begin with. My budt told me that shell offers the smoothest idling and acceleration based on engine vibration during acceleration, rapid lane change,etc. more so than my all time faves such as Texaco or 76 conoco-philips.

Q.

I haven't tried it yet and don't plan on it any time soon. Your price of $3.90(Unleaded) is what I used to pay several years ago when driving up to Newburgh NY for certain jobs(highest was $5.45 for Regular/Unleaded). Now in my area the cheapest I found was $2.47 at Hess and Exxon/Mobil. Prices fluctuate daily by as much as 10 cents!

It's funny because when I picked up my Xterra it was like the old days with my Jeep. Took $18 dollars to fill the Xterra from E(with the light on) to Full. Now it costs me $43 to fill up(it was like $1.15/1.20 in MARCH!) Argh I hate this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back