Shell Rotella Grease

Thinking about using this brand in my blade spindles bearings on my lawn tractor.Should I use the HD Grease or the Multi Purpose versions?My other use would be in my Dexter axles on my Bear Track aluminum utility trailer.I would like to use the same grease in both.
Or would Mystic JT-6 high temp also be acceptable?

Depends on what is required for each application, which specific rotella grease, and whether its compatible with your current grease mix

Thinking about using this brand in my blade spindles bearings on my lawn tractor.Should I use the HD Grease or the Multi Purpose versions?My other use would be in my Dexter axles on my Bear Track aluminum utility trailer.I would like to use the same grease in both.

Rotella HD is the only one comparable to JT6 High temp.

Mystik JT6 HT is still a better grease in my opinion.

As a semi mechanic I'll tell you something most people don't realize. Fleet engine oils, greases and gear oils are something lots of trucking companies often buy at the cheapest price that meets the approval for the applications. So there is no incentive for Shell to use the best, most expensive additives in say Rotella 15W40, Chevron with Delo 15W40 and on and on. If the oil meets the engine makers approval, it does a good job and trucker 379 Pete is a Rotella fanboy and swears by it.

That Rotella grease doesn't look special to me. The correct one will work however.

Just my opinion.

As a semi mechanic I'll tell you something most people don't realize. Fleet engine oils, greases and gear oils are something lots of trucking companies often buy at the cheapest price that meets the approval for the applications. So there is no incentive for Shell to use the best, most expensive additives in say Rotella 15W40, Chevron with Delo 15W40 and on and on. If the oil meets the engine makers approval, it does a good job and trucker 379 Pete is a Rotella fanboy and swears by it.

That Rotella grease doesn't look special to me. The correct one will work however.

Just my opinion.

You’re right, it’s not. The Rotella HD is a middle of the pack iso220 grease. Nothing special. But, it works.

Just like Rotella. Friends don’t let friends use Rotella. (My personal opinion.)

I use Lucas Red N Tacky in my camper wheel bearings, my Deere LT150 spindle bearings and in my 2012 Ram driveshaft U-joint. It seems to work good in all applications. I will be switching to Mystik High Temp today when I do my trailer bearings today. I have been using it on the mower since early spring. The Mysti is more affordable and similar specs.

Just my $0.02

You’re right, it’s not. The Rotella HD is a middle of the pack iso220 grease. Nothing special. But, it works.

Just like Rotella. Friends don’t let friends use Rotella. (My personal opinion.)
Why don't friends let friends use Shell Rotella HD and why is Mystik JT6 High Temperature better than it?

Why don't friends let friends use Shell Rotella HD and why is Mystik JT6 High Temperature better than it?

Why JT6 is better:

Better base oil viscosity - 630 vs 220 @ 40cst. Which, for a general purpose application, the heavier base oil is much better.

Better dropping point. (288 vs 240)

All the posted specs vs none on Rotella.

Mystik also manufactures their own grease, Shell does not in the US.

Rotella, in general, is very over priced for what you get it - exception being T6 5w40. But T4 15w40, is bargain basement 15w40 sold at extremely high prices. It has a known shearing issue. It barely passes the DD13 wear scar test. And anything Rotella, they charge the Rotella brand premium for. After all, someone has to pay for the race cars, booth babes, magic starship galaxy truck, etc.

Why JT6 is better:

Better base oil viscosity - 630 vs 220 @ 40cst. Which, for a general purpose application, the heavier base oil is much better.

Better dropping point. (288 vs 240)

All the posted specs vs none on Rotella.

Mystik also manufactures their own grease, Shell does not in the US.

Rotella, in general, is very over priced for what you get it - exception being T6 5w40. But T4 15w40, is bargain basement 15w40 sold at extremely high prices. It has a known shearing issue. It barely passes the DD13 wear scar test. And anything Rotella, they charge the Rotella brand premium for. After all, someone has to pay for the race cars, booth babes, magic starship galaxy truck, etc.
What would you recommend instead of the T4 then?

What would you recommend instead of the T4 then?

If you have to go Rotella, T5.

I personally run Kendall Super D Xa in my fleet primarily. Citgo C700 in one of my locations. I should probably swap to all C700, but my test data for the last 10 years is all Kendall, so it’s not worth the $1-1.50 gallon savings to retrace all the test data.

Chevron Delo XLE is also a solid product if you’re a chevron fan.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of any of the Mobil offerings. But if you had to pick it would be the Syn blend 1300.

In 2023, the price difference between a solid Synthetic blend vs a conventional group 2 15w40 or 10w30 is so small, you might as well go for the Synthetic blend. And they’re typically better across the board in every way.

Full synthetics, in my opinion, unless you’re living in an extreme environment (super cold) and you don’t have access to block heaters… Eh. Not worth it.

I finally have to rebuild a 2005 C15 this week, after a life of Super D XA 15w40, at 1.25 million miles. It’s never been opened before. Finally started having a lot of blow by. I think it’s a 2WS block code off the top of my head. (I have a 140 semi truck units so it’s hard to keep track of without my fleet list in front of me.)

If youre greasing your mower spindles with any grease youre likely way ahead of 2/3 of lawn mower owners.

Very true, but only if the have removed the sealed bearing cap on the inside otherwise it is for no benefit other than feeling good!

Just my $0.02

Back