Shell Rimula Ultra 10W-40 (UHPD oil) in gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st post here, and have some questions regarding the "cheap engine oil" I found locally. It is a synthetic oil with a price of minieral oil in my country (same cost as Rotella T 15W-40)

It's the Shell Rimula Ultra 10W-40, UHPD diesel engine oil. It has no API S ratings, instead all the ratings are for diesels. Just wondering if it's possible to use in the gas engine.

When reading the spec sheet, one thing really caught my eye was the ultra high TBN level, at 15.9~!

I wonder if it will post an issue in gas engine, since I never seen any gas engine with such high TBN.

If Rimula Ultra doesn't sound like an good idea, maybe I will stick with Rotella T 15W-40. (Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 is not sold in this country)

Many thanks.

Great if you like deposits and abrasive wear (particularly in a BMW). 1.9% sulfated ash is the reason for the high TBN.

It's not generally suitable for petrol engines.

If you were into blending, it would make for a reasonable "synthetic blend", adding (I think from the look of the pour point) GrIII base stocks, and adding some additive elements. Maybe 20-25% of this stuff, and the balance regular oil.

But I'd probably ignore it.

I'd recommend shell rotella instead.

I wouldn't worry about what Shannow said. There has been no documented evidence of using diesel oils in cars causing problem.

Diesel oils are great. Usually more robust then car oils.

Go forth with no doubts

I'm all for using HDEO in a gasser-I've done so for years. However, they were all duel use rated for gas and diesel. This oil is only rated for diesel and I believe there is a reason for it, namely the amount of sulfated ash. I would NOT run a strictly diesel rated oil in a gasser as I believe deposits/fouling may become an issue.

My .02.

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: Brien
I'd recommend shell rotella instead.

I wouldn't worry about what Shannow said. There has been no documented evidence of using diesel oils in cars causing problem.

Diesel oils are great. Usually more robust then car oils.

Go forth with no doubts

WRONG!

listen to listen to REDDOG and Shannow. there is a high level of sulphated ash in that oil and it is not a dual-rated oil.

stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back