Shell RGT vs Kirkland 5w30

TSC still carry it to the best of my knowledge. They clearanced Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, and put the RGT on the shelves.

Last edited:
TSC still carry it to the best if my knowledge. They clearanced Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, and put the RGT on the shelves.
That’s what I’m seeing … lots of farmers drive diesel trucks/tractors (think Rotella) but wife/kids are in gasser SUV … so this works on a few. It’s not a bad price and they do the agricultural exemption thing …

I still have some RGT from the clearance sales …

Last edited:
TSC still carry it to the best if my knowledge. They clearanced Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, and put the RGT on the shelves.
Someone shown they bought a bunch clearanced in the deals forum here, and if you go to TSC's website, the 5w-30 5qt jugs are no longer listed, and when I clicked 5w20, there was none in stock at any store within 40 miles, and the 0W20 was in stock at my store and it said there was a limited quantity available at 12.99/jug and it was out of stock at the other 10 or so stores within 40 miles. And there's no option to order online for delivery, it appears they are getting rid of it.

Someone shown they bought a bunch clearanced in the deals forum here, and if you go to TSC's website, the 5w-30 5qt jugs are no longer listed, and when I clicked 5w20, there was none in stock at any store within 40 miles, and the 0W20 was in stock at my store and it said there was a limited quantity available at 12.99/jug and it was out of stock at the other 10 or so stores within 40 miles. And there's no option to order online for delivery, it appears they are getting rid of it.
If so, seems RGT at TSC was short lived.

About 15 months ago TSC took M1 T/SUV off the shelves, and placed Shell RGT in its place. I saw Shell RGT at many TSCs over the last 60 days Heber City, UT, Morgan, UT, Greely, Co, Loveland, CO, Ft Collins, CO). I often check out what TSC has in the oil section, and sometimes find a M1 T/SUV behind other M1 flavors, and am able to purchase the "missed clearance stock" for $10 a jug.

Oh i see - yeah i saw everyone thinking this was the case last year - however every single one of those places you mentioned are all still selling and for the normal prices too.
I haven’t seen it at a Wal Mart in 6+months, I regularly visit two tractor supply stores and they only carry small quantities of a 0w20, did find 5w30 in the clearance section with date codes of 2019. Online it’s like $34 for a 5qt which is 10 more than I’ve ever paid for that product. Only place I’ve found RGT regularly in the last few months is AZ and Advance for the usual ridiculous prices they sell oil at.

I wonder if Shell sent it out (upon release) incredibly cheaply, so places would have it on display to sell, and whatever the reasons, it wasn't shifting, and the retailers had the option to deep cut to get it moving.

It was a poorly chosen product name. The 99.99 percent of the population who don’t have anxiety attacks when they see 5 PPM of iron in a UOA or don’t have wet dreams because an oil has high levels of Moly simply saw the word truck on the label and assumed it was a super duper whiz bang oil that wouldn’t work in their SUV or car.

Only place I’ve found RGT regularly in the last few months is AZ and Advance for the usual ridiculous prices they sell oil at.
If AAP still has it in store, it might ring up 10.49 if they scan it, or it'll ring out 5 cents and they'll probably refuse to sell it unless you can talk the manager into selling it to you at a reasonable clearance price or if you're buying something else they may be nice enough to just let you take it or just sell it to you at 5 cents along with your other items, they still sell it online for 41.99, which no one in their right mind would pay,

Kirkland and Supertech are both made by Warren Performance Products. My guess is they are both the same formula give or take but not much. I think both are good products and will serve you well. Whichever one you chose send a sample to Blackstone labs and see what's going on. I ran supertech 15-40 diesel oil in a four stroke outboard for years and never had a worry. Spoke to Blackstone a few times and the folks there said I could go another 50 hours as I was changing oil at 50 hours.

I've done two oil changes since starting this thread. Thanks everyone for your input.

First one was what I had left of the Rotella Gas Truck and the last time I put in the Kirkland. z

I have 110 hrs on the Kirkland so far and plan to drop it at 200hrs and send it away for UOA.

Or should I wait for the OCI after that? Will there still be enough residual RGT oil left to alter the results? Or am I overthinking this?

I've done two oil changes since starting this thread. Thanks everyone for your input.

First one was what I had left of the Rotella Gas Truck and the last time I put in the Kirkland. z

I have 110 hrs on the Kirkland so far and plan to drop it at 200hrs and send it away for UOA.

Or should I wait for the OCI after that? Will there still be enough residual RGT oil left to alter the results? Or am I overthinking this?
What do you expect the UOA results to show?

5W-30 SP rated oil as per manual recommendation. Both oils will be the same and the DEXOS rating is a good guide to choosing an oil.

Last edited:
Either oil will be fine. I think what would be of most benefit is cutting down on idle hours.
I you can get a mini gen or pony to run what ever you are running with the truck idling - that would be the most benefit to all.
Just change the oil on a severe schedule.

No one has been able to prove or actually find that information from what i can tell, so whilst people can say it's been discontinued, where are you seeing the actual evidence of this?

No one has been able to prove or actually find that information from what i can tell, so whilst people can say it's been discontinued, where are you seeing the actual evidence of this?
Stock was heavily discounted, none on the shelves anywhere, And no date from Shell on if/when more will be delivered.

Back