Shell RGT vs Kirkland 5w30

Hello, I've been lurking here for years, finally made a account.

I have a 2020 Ford F350 with a 7.3L gas motor. The truck is used in a application that often has it idling about 5 times as much as driving. Typical day might be 1-1.5hr drive, 13hr idle, 1-1.5hr drive. This varies some however.

My plan is for oil changes at 200hrs and possibly extend to 300 depending on oil analyst.

So far I have changed the factory fill at 65hrs/1000 miles and then again at 327hrs/4000 miles.
I have been using RGT and OEM filters.

In my other gas applications(non truck) I use Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic 5w30. I would like to switch from RGT to Kirkland in my 7.3 if I'm not giving up anything from the RGT. The 7.3 is a port injected pushrod motor, I don't think its oil requirements really justify the cost of RGT($30 CAD for 5.28 quarts) at around 3 times the cost of kirkland($21CAD for 10 quarts). If the RGT will actually help the motor last longer I'm ok with the extra cost as I will keep this truck for 6-9 years which might be ~9k hrs.

Looking at the VOA's (links below) one of the things that stands out is RGT has 160 of molybdenum and Kirkland has 82.

Kirkland has a TBN of 8.0, RGT has a TBN of 6.78+

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on how the Kirkland would work for my application.

Kirkland VOA

RGT VOA

Thanks in advance!

Strictly anecdotal but once my RGT stash is gone, the Kirkland is going into the rotation.
(all things being equal though I wish my RGT stash was bigger)

Use both in separate oil runs, then use the one that doesn't burn, or not as much. Both oils are fine and will serve your engine well.

Yes, I have another 8L of RGT which is just enough for one change. Will do a UOA when I change and then will most likely make the switch to kirkland and do a UOA when I drain the kirkland for the first time.

I have also been following these two oils very closely for my vehicles. Kirkland Signature is identical to Supertech 10k Full Synthetic, so if you don't have a Costco membership, you can swing by Walmart and pick some up.

Overall, KS has more detergents (calcium and magnesium) than RGT and the blend of phosphorous and zinc of KS helps to make up for its lack of molybdenum (anti-wear).

Both KS and RGT have very good add packs overall, but it's hard to beat KS for the price, especially for those that don't want to mess with mail-in rebates.

Overall, KS has more detergents (calcium and magnesium) than RGT and the blend of phosphorous and zinc of KS helps to make up for its lack of molybdenum (anti-wear).
Add to that lots of Boron. I'm just wondering how long RGT is going to be available?

So I’m my area the Walmart Supertech is actually cheaper than Kirkland Signature.

I’ve read that both are one in the same, is this true?

We’re splitting hairs but I like how the phosphorus is snugged up to the 800 ppm limit with a 795 ppm, which gives the zinc a chance to be the highest amount possible ( 845) and still meet SP requirements. ( Zinc and phosphorous travel together in the compound ZDDP ). It’s more of an interesting observation rather than anything to make a decision on. ;)

Either oil will be fine. I think what would be of most benefit is cutting down on idle hours.
I you can get a mini gen or pony to run what ever you are running with the truck idling - that would be the most benefit to all.

Either oil will be fine. I think what would be of most benefit is cutting down on idle hours.
I you can get a mini gen or pony to run what ever you are running with the truck idling - that would be the most benefit to all.
I hear ya, I’ve explored other options but at the end of the day the I’m willing to take the trade off of excessive idle time for the convenience it allows plus always having the hvac system.

So I’m my area the Walmart Supertech is actually cheaper than Kirkland Signature.

I’ve read that both are one in the same, is this true?
Yes, they are both bottled by Warren Distribution, at least in the United States, don't know if it's different across the northern border.

I have both in my stash and but I running both grades of kirkland currently 5w30 and 0w20. The Equinox ran to 5-6k last time. Oil could have probably gone longer but my Dad accidently reset the OLM. Stayed on the safe side. Got about 2k on the 5w30 on the kia. Will run to 5k/6mo. Subjectively there's nothing wrong with the oil and previous UOAs have showed its quite up to the task. For the Chevy I need the cheapest Dexos oil since it's a lease. In a few months I'll do a UOA on the Kia and post. Next will be RGT 5W30.

Why do you say this?
Becuase pretty much every retailer got the initial shipment when shell launched the product in 2019 and it sat and sat and sat and then they blew it out, AAP did 10.49/jug, Walmart took it down in increments depending how long it sat on the clearance rack at particular stores, so some went for as little as 5 bucks and some change, people have reported it clearanced at TSC, I don't remember how much for, Pepboys was giving it away after rebate. So it appears that it might be getting discontinued.

Becuase pretty much every retailer got the initial shipment when shell launched the product in 2019 and it sat and sat and sat and then they blew it out, AAP did 10.49/jug, Walmart took it down in increments depending how long it sat on the clearance rack at particular stores, so some went for as little as 5 bucks and some change, people have reported it clearanced at TSC, I don't remember how much for, Pepboys was giving it away after rebate. So it appears that it might be getting discontinued.
Oh i see - yeah i saw everyone thinking this was the case last year - however every single one of those places you mentioned are all still selling and for the normal prices too.

Back