Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 - Quality, Thoughts?

On that note, what's the protocol to distinguish between products that achieve the standards at minimum levels with those that exceed approvals & standards?
There is none. You're left with having to infer based upon the composition of the products and the number of approvals attained. Even if you end up with being able to determine that Brand X should be "better" than Brand Y, you won't be able to determine by how much.

On an aside, Blackstone has through their database found no statistically significant differences between oils of similar weight.

I have used it, but meanwhille switched to a different oil, real PAO.

Reason: The engine in my car was literally drinking it. Reports in the specific forum of the vehicle and here at BITOG showed that this GTL based Shell Helix Ultra tends to burn in some engines more than other oils. There is thread about this problem with Shell GTL oils here at BITOG.

Try it, if your engine dont burn it, it is for sure a very good oil.

Reason: The engine in my car was literally drinking it. Reports in the specific forum of the vehicle and here at BITOG showed that this GTL based Shell Helix Ultra tends to burn in some engines more than other oils. There is thread about this problem with Shell GTL oils here at BITOG.

Had similar issue with the SHU 5w-40. Also was thicking going to the SHU 0w-40 but that oil didnt have the Porsche approval. So i did move to M1 0w-40. So far no issue with the M1.

Interesting. A few thousand miles into the OCI on my wife's Edge with QS 5w40 Euro (GTL) I added a bit of oil for the first time on that car. Not much, but it's the first time I've seen the oil level move at all on the dipstick since we've owned it.

No consumption at all running it in my daughter's Fusion though. Passat VR6 didn't burn any of it either.

I have a boatload of the stuff, I will continue to use it.

I'm considering using the Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 in my BMW B58 engine this spring when I'm due for a change.
Currently have 0w-20 LL17 Liqui Moly in the sump, but thinking to go up a viscosity grade to see if anything is different.

It's a shame you can't get the 5w-30 Pennzoil Euro outside of 55gal drums for dealerships:

The -40 is maybe a bit thicker than I'd like to run, when the manual states to use 0w-20/0w-30.

That being said, Walmart Castrol 5w-30 euro is $21/5qts compared to $6-7qt Pennzoil, although I'd much prefer the latter.

Had similar issue with the SHU 5w-40. Also was thicking going to the SHU 0w-40 but that oil didnt have the Porsche approval. So i did move to M1 0w-40. So far no issue with the M1.
i have the same issue with bmw tpt 5-30 (branded shell) twice used. i really don't want to always have my mind on dipstick.so next OCI move to another brand.
@Bjornviken still waiting for the M1 0-40 API SP to enter Europe. can you find it in your country ? ( as i know you have the privilege of having the Exxom plant there).

by the way is there a 5-30 with more pao?

i have the same issue with bmw tpt 5-30 (branded shell) twice used. i really don't want to always have my mind on dipstick.so next OCI move to another brand.
@Bjornviken still waiting for the M1 0-40 API SP to enter Europe. can you find it in your country ? ( as i know you have the privilege of having the Exxom plant there).

by the way is there a 5-30 with more pao?
nope, still waiting for it. maybe next year we will have it🤔
We have the 5w-30 esp api SP. 36€ / 5L. I can find Castrol 0w-40 api sp but that oil is almost 60€ for 4l. M1 0w-40 is 40€ for 4l. Shu 5w-40 is 27€/4l

Reactions: 4WD
nope, still waiting for it. maybe next year we will have it🤔
We have the 5w-30 esp api SP. 36€ / 5L. I can find Castrol 0w-40 api sp but that oil is almost 60€ for 4l. M1 0w-40 is 40€ for 4l. Shu 5w-40 is 27€/4l
prices for M1 in your country is ridiculous . down here starts from 50€ for 5-30 and 62€ for 0-40!
SHU 5-40 is cheap here too about 34€ 4lt.
ok, when you get 0-40 i need a 5lt delivery by post :D

prices for M1 in your country is ridiculous . down here starts from 50€ for 5-30 and 62€ for 0-40!
SHU 5-40 is cheap here too about 34€ 4lt.
ok, when you get 0-40 i need a 5lt delivery by post :D
62€ for M1 0w-40 in Sweden?😧 köper de flesta oljor från Motonet.fi eller halpa halli. Tror att motonet kommer till Sverige, iallafall läste jag det på vibilägare. Skrev på Svenska för jag orka inte skriva på Engelska, lättare för mig 😅

köper de flesta oljor från Motonet.fi eller halpa halli. Tror att motonet kommer till Sverige, iallafall läste jag det på vibilägare. Skrev på Svenska för jag orka inte skriva på Engelska, lättare för mig

66,44 Us dollar for M1 0w-40 in Sweden
as i said months ago, i am not in Sweden right now. i work in Northern Macedonia country. i don't think Motonet sends here. if it sends to Greece would be nice ,its very close to where i live,2 hours tops with car.in SWEDEN the price is also ..oh my !!! , 😂
Tack !!!

Last edited:
Back