Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 - Quality, Thoughts?

Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710; PSA B71 2296, Ferrari.

Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2 and Chrysler MS-10725

Funny twist from the US perspective, isn't it? Noack was around 7 and HTHS around 3.7 mostly from the F-T base oils (for people that don't want to hear about GTL anymore) – would that be right? Probably one of the more sound alternatives all in all.

Edit: Had just spoken about the regular elsewhere and then without a click didn't notice the "Professional...", please excuse.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

what about the Shell helix Ultra 5w-40? Any thoughts, expiriences, opinions? To my limited knowledge, the russian oil club praises this oil as a "masterpiece" from shell and raceworthy.

At one point it was my FS synthetic to go, was/is always on cheap side, and full spec. These days I simply do not own vehicle that oil would suit.

Funny twist from the US perspective, isn't it? Noack was around 7 and HTHS around 3.7 mostly from the F-T base oils (for people that don't want to hear about GTL anymore) – would that be right? Probably one of the more sound alternatives all in all.

Edit: Had just spoken about the regular elsewhere and then without a click didn't notice the "Professional...", please excuse.
I think your deleted comments may still be valid. The OPs Shell hyperlink incorrectly shows a jug of professional 5W30 AG (Dexos C3)

Should be this one I think with the Ferrari endorsement.
521772211.jpg

Thank you. Website and sheets are no strength of Shell anyway. The Helix Ultra Racing 5W-40 by now seems to be where the Ferrari went. While the general Ultra 5W-40 has the same specs as an Ultra Diesel I 5W-40, which is somehow suspicious as the I in names of some products once seemed to indicate short lived non-GTL interim versions.

Long live the Multi Vehicle and LME Plus :)

I thought the Ultra racing was 10W60 only? And that like Motul in the 300V range, they were given names according to viscosity (Chrono, Le Mans, etc...)

Last edited:
Well, it's the Unterbayerisches Hügelland in Oberbayern over here (in no way to be confused with Niederbayern!) and we practically invented the Kini. The Kini was a little presidential for his time, but without too many additional Royals. At this very moment we're still Euros, but who knows what the truth may actually be...

This Rimula R6 LME Plus' brochure for sure looks much more convincing than this Rotella Multi Vehicle's brochure :)
Helix Ultra Racing 5W-40 had sheets, if it existed I don't know. https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/de/713ff606-5e28-4087-8992-25a9f00a9f1a.pdf

Brands of Mitan by the way show 10W-60s with the same profile as Helix Ultra Racing's 10W-60 and mentioned 70-90% Fischer-Tropsch in their earlier safety data sheets.

Last edited:
😂 I think nobody here beside me understand your bavarian Jokes....

BTT:
The Helix Ultra Racing 5w-40 exist, my car parts dealer can order it, but the price is 3 times higher compared to the regular Helix Ultra 5w-40. Doubtfull if its woth. For almost 30,-€ per Liter i would choose to buy Redline.

Backt to the topic, how about the heat resistence of GTL compared to PAO?

And I wrote that with some fear of getting banned for it :)

Yes, it's the most expensive, but from a Shell dealer that would be like 110€ for 12 litres and most probably remain at that when they restock.

No idea what it's worth, Pennzoil Platinum Racing has the same data. GTL as such is basically on par with PAO, in my view from all I saw. And in a real (old last) drum the regular could cost like 2,30€ per litre or so.

Last edited:
Excellent oil. I realize the price may raise some flags, given it is cheaper than most brand name oils like Mobil, Castrol, and in Germany, Liqui-Moly, but Shell products are top shelf regardless. In this case, you're looking at a GTL product at a bargain price.

Back