Shell Branded Oil Selection Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avoid oils that don't have a VW 504.00 certification.

VW 504.00 is a lot more stricter than the base ACEA C3 certification, and it has an intake-valve deposit (IVD) engine test, which no other oil certification has.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I have updated my spreadsheet for the Shell AV-L 5W-30 and Shell AV-L 0W-30, both VW 504.00.

As you can see, 0W-30 has more viscosity-index improver (VII) polymer, which will increase the turbocharger and intake-valve deposits (IVD). It also has a thinner base oil, which will increase the engine wear. I assumed HTHS = 3.5 cP for both; however, chances are that for the 5W-30 it is a little higher, which will make the real discrepancy for the VII content and base-oil viscosity between the two oils even more.

Estimated VII content and base-oil viscosity (BO DV150) of selected oils

As far as IVD between 0W30 and 5W30, i leave it to experts to discuss but I think you are making it sound worst than it is considering that 0W oils have a much better base oil and a higher natural vi ... but let's forget about that for now because that may get very technical and over my head
grin2.gif

However, you are also saying that the thinner base oil in 0W30 (as oppose to 5W30) "will increase the engine wear" ...

imho and assuming that 0W30 will have a thinner base oil, the increased engine wear if any should be VERY insignificant and/or minimal to even be mentioned as a deciding factor or otherwise ... and it is borderline misleading. We are talking about two x30 oils. At the same time and in other threads, you highly recommend xW20's.

Again this is based on what I've learned on bitog. Please explain and/or elaborate if I'm wrong!

He is probably from eastern EU....since he is mentioning Shell hx8....and fake engine oils from the internet...

Dunno what web pages do they have there...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
He is probably from eastern EU....since he is mentioning Shell hx8....and fake engine oils from the internet...

smile.gif

Yes unfortunately I am from Eastern Europe...Middle East actually...You should expect to face with any kind of crap anytime.

Thank you very much for your suggestions guys...I again rang Shell to check whether they had the AV L 5W30. And, the answer was no as the AV L was Ultra Professional and because of its expensive price Shell decided not to sell them here which really sucks...As alternatives they offered crappy HX7 which is not even suitable for my engine. They also recommended ECT C3 without the VW approval at all...

I decided to use the Liqui Moly 4200 which I purchased directly from the website of the distributor. I checked everything with them before ordering. I also contacted liqui moly and got the batch confirmed. As everything on the bottle seemed normal after doing some more research online I used it....

I bought the oil filter and pcv valve from the dealership as well..So got PCV valve also replaced. No problems so far...

Originally Posted by moonlightblue

smile.gif

Yes unfortunately I am from Eastern Europe...Middle East actually...You should expect to face with any kind of crap anytime.

the middle of eastern europe, so, Slovenia?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Olas
here is a list of most of the 504/507 oils available.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?w=vw 504.00 / vw 507.00

That webpage shows several oils that do not have VW approval, only recommended or "suitable for".

Most of the 504/507 oils are on that list. that there are other oils 'suggested' or 'recommended' does not change the fact that most 504/507 oils *ARE* on that list.

Originally Posted by Olas

the middle of eastern europe, so, Slovenia?

You suck @ geography
smile.gif
we are...lets say in center/south EU...
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

OP must be from Romania or Bulgaria...

@Olas.....and please dont discuss EU matters....you you....infidel from an island far far away!!!
smile.gif

Otherwise we will put taxes on your imported tea!

@Olas.....and please dont discuss EU matters....you you....infidel from an island far far away!!!
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

01.gif

smile.gif

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back