A3B4 vs C3 And Oil Consumption

Originally Posted by moonlightblue
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I would try a non VW502 such as a conventional 10w40 A3/B4 and give that a try if a 5w40 A3/B4 VW502 is not working for you.

I would not expect to see much of a difference in terms of consumption with a (mid SAPS) C3 A3\B4 vs a (High SAPS) VW502 A3/B4 especially with European fuel. US fuel is a different story.

So there wont be difference in terms of consumption between two 5w40 oils where one of them is C3 and the other A3B4?

Other question is that would it make more sense to use mobil 5w50 FS X1 for the turbo and other lubricating parts instead of conventional 10w40, as 5w50 sounds like it is closer to 5w30 and 5w40 in terms of fast flow on cold starts?

Mobil 5w50 Peak Life had Vw505 approval at least which is not VW502, however in most oils VW502 and 505 used together. But Mobil 5w50 FS X1 which is the only 5w50 available here does not even have VW505 approval.

I have also checked the specs of Mobil 5w50 Peaklife versus FS X1, but I am unable to reach to a conclusion. Is there much difference in terms of protection, consumption, thickness, reliability between these two versions of Mobil ?

at -35C they are closer to 5w30 and could produce faster flow, above that it doesn't matter as the oil pumps a fixed volume of oil every revolution.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
My coworker is going through 4-5qts in his 2013 Audi with a 2.0. Apparently some have a pcv issue, I'm ordering an updated part to try on it, otherwise it needs an overhaul which is also common on them. Just over 100k miles.

Not sure if this is a possibility on the 1.8 also?

4-5 qts in how many miles or kms?

By the way I just replaced the PCV again with the original/old version with the serial number ending with AH. Bought the PCV from audi dealership, so I am sure about the authenticity of the part, however it could be faulty as well right?

Not sure how to understand that PCV is faulty by the way. When I try to slowly remove the oil cap during idle, the oil cap is well vacummed back which shows that PCV is vaccumming well. However I am not sure if that test is enough or accurate?

Not sure how to understand that PCV is faulty by the way. When I try to slowly remove the oil cap during idle, the oil cap is well vacummed back which shows that PCV is vaccumming well. However I am not sure if that test is enough or accurate?

Pulling a vacuum? There are 2 parts to the PCV. You have addressed the first part (PCV valve) but there is also the other end. The breather part which might be blocked causing the vacuum. A vacuum will surely pull oil from the system causing oil consumption.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Pulling a vacuum? There are 2 parts to the PCV. You have addressed the first part (PCV valve) but there is also the other end. The breather part which might be blocked causing the vacuum. A vacuum will surely pull oil from the system causing oil consumption.

Sorry I got confused. So is it possible the new PCV valve to be faulty? Could you please explain again how can I test the PCV?

I have very excessive oil consumption without any smoke from exhaust. There is a temporary smoke if I rev 4000 5000 rpm on idle only otherwise no smoke.

Currently have Castrol EDGE FST 5w40 (c3) inside with Vw502 approval. Is that wrong oil ?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by edyvw
Also, take into consideration that VW 504.00/507.00 oils are almost W40 oils.

That's an unexpected mistake for you to make! VW 504 00/507 00 oils can only be 0W-30 or 5W-30.

edy must be getting old
lol.gif

I said ALMOST! Their HTHS is minimum 3.5cpm, and KV100 around 12cst.

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by edyvw
Also, take into consideration that VW 504.00/507.00 oils are almost W40 oils.

That's an unexpected mistake for you to make! VW 504 00/507 00 oils can only be 0W-30 or 5W-30.

Did you read everything I wrote? KV100 of all VW504.00/507.00 oils that I am aware of and W40 grade is less than 8%.

Back