Shell Branded Oil Selection Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I have been reading this forum since some time and happy to be here.

The car is 2010 audi 1.8 Tfsi (160 hp) petrol, and I would like to switch to Shell branded oil.

Vw 504 507, 5w30 oil is the recommended oil for my car. And, 5w30 Fully synthetic oil has been used on this car since new.

The handbook recommends VW504 for petrol engines. Nothing mentioned about viscocity. The sticker under the hood recommends Castrol 5w30 Vw507.

However Shell C3 5w30 oil does not have any of VW 504 507 approval..

Only Shell C2/C3 0w30 has the VW504 507 approval. But I need 5w30 and not 0w30.

So would you still buy the Shell C3 5w30 without the VW504 507 approvals?

I have to make a decision as soon as possible.

Look forward to seeing your opinions.

Please do not suggest Castrol/Mobil/Liqui etc...No petrol station sell them at the place that I live, and I can never be sure of authenticity of these oils unless I buy it from petrol station at the country that I live. That is why Shell is my safest option.

Cheers

Last edited:
Vw 504/507 is sae30 anyway (0w or 5w) by standard!

Shell has ECT C2/C3 and ALSO AV-L wich are both Vw504/507...

If in a hurry and not able to find that VW spec....you can also take BMW LL-04 and/or MB 229.51....way cheaper and almost (I said ALMOST!) there...with a VW!

ACEA C3 is a starting minimum performance level for VW 507 00 (but not for 504 00). If I had a choice I would not substitute a C3 only oil for an oil that has actual 507 00 approval.

No mention of grade (viscosity) is necessary as it is irrelevant with the VW approval, the only part that might possibly make some difference is the winter rating which would only matter at temperatures well below 0F. You don't "need" 5W-30, all you need is an oil with the proper VW approval regardless of the grade designation.

Originally Posted by kschachn
ACEA C3 is a starting minimum performance level for VW 507 00 (but not for 504 00). If I had a choice I would not substitute a C3 only oil for an oil that has actual 507 00 approval.

No mention of grade (viscosity) is necessary as it is irrelevant with the VW approval, the only part that might possibly make some difference is the winter rating which would only matter at temperatures well below 0F. You don't "need" 5W-30, all you need is an oil with the proper VW approval regardless of the grade designation.

But the 5w30 ECT C3 has BMW LL04 approval.. Will LL04 replace VW504 507 ?

I also wonder if the car will burn even more oil if I switch to 0w30 from 5w30 (which has been used since 10 years) ?

The other concern is the price. Because the ECT C3 5w30 (with the ll04 rating but without vw504507) is much cheaper than the ECT c2/c3 0w30 with Vw504507 rating...

I doubt that BMW would ever interfere with VW...

VW will stay VW....BMW will stayBMW....and MB will stay MB
smile.gif

If you are reading EU forums...owners are using A3/B4 5w40 (bmw LL-01 mb 229.5) to fight fuel dilution...

Originally Posted by moonlightblue
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I have been reading this forum since some time and happy to be here.

The car is 2010 audi 1.8 Tfsi (160 hp) petrol, and I would like to switch to Shell branded oil.

Vw 504 507, 5w30 oil is the recommended oil for my car. And, 5w30 Fully synthetic oil has been used on this car since new.

The handbook recommends VW504 for petrol engines. Nothing mentioned about viscocity. The sticker under the hood recommends Castrol 5w30 Vw507.

Please do not suggest Castrol/Mobil/Liqui etc...No petrol station sell them at the place that I live, and I can never be sure of authenticity of these oils unless I buy it from petrol station at the country that I live. That is why Shell is my safest option.

Cheers

I would avoid a 0W-30 in these engines. VW 504.00 spec prefers a 5W-30, not a 0W-30, as it prefers a thick base oil.

Why don't you use the Shell Helix Ultra AV-L 5W-30 VW 504.00?

https://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=94071618

I have updated my spreadsheet for the Shell AV-L 5W-30 and Shell AV-L 0W-30, both VW 504.00.

As you can see, 0W-30 has more viscosity-index improver (VII) polymer, which will increase the turbocharger and intake-valve deposits (IVD). It also has a thinner base oil, which will increase the engine wear. I assumed HTHS = 3.5 cP for both; however, chances are that for the 5W-30 it is a little higher, which will make the real discrepancy for the VII content and base-oil viscosity between the two oils even more.

Estimated VII content and base-oil viscosity (BO DV150) of selected oils

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I have updated my spreadsheet for the Shell AV-L 5W-30 and Shell AV-L 0W-30, both VW 504.00.

As you can see, 0W-30 has more viscosity-index improver (VII) polymer, which will increase the turbocharger and intake-valve deposits (IVD). It also has a thinner base oil, which will increase the engine wear. I assumed HTHS = 3.5 cP for both; however, chances are that for the 5W-30 it is a little higher, which will make the real discrepancy for the VII content and base-oil viscosity between the two oils even more.

Thank you but this makes me more confused. So which Shell do you recommend for my 2010 Audi A5 (1.8 tfsi petrol engine) ?

Hello all,

Cheers

I would avoid a 0W-30 in these engines. VW 504.00 spec prefers a 5W-30, not a 0W-30, as it prefers a thick base oil.

Why don't you use the Shell Helix Ultra AV-L 5W-30 VW 504.00?

https://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=94071618

Because its not available here anywhere.

Thank you but this makes me more confused. So which Shell do you recommend for my 2010 Audi A5 (1.8 tfsi petrol engine) ?

It specs VW 504.00, right? I recommended the AV-L 5W-30 over the AV-L 0W-30, but you're saying the AV-L 5W-30 only exists as a data sheet. In that case, if you're OK with a higher-VII-content oil and insist on Shell, go with the AV-L 0W-30. Otherwise, there are alternatives such as the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. However, you're saying you don't like buying oil online and only the Shell is available in stores. It's up to you how to resolve your dilemmas.

This is how silly it gets.

You need an oil with actual 504 00 or 507 00 approval. Find one and use it, the approval is all that matters. The winter rating is irrelevant unless you're in a very, very cold climate.

If your oil selection is so poor that all you have is an oil with ACEA C3 then use it.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
There has to be a Shell branded 5w30 504 oil available in Europe...?

HX8 is Vw504507 but its an A3 oil. And the handbook doesnt recommend to use it unless in urgent adding up situations up to 0.5L.

I will listen to the majority and will get c2c3 0w30 vw504507...Better than gambling with authenticity of the oils purchased online..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
There has to be a Shell branded 5w30 504 oil available in Europe...?

HX8 is Vw504507 but its an A3 oil. And the handbook doesnt recommend to use it unless in urgent adding up situations up to 0.5L.

The HX8 I see on Shell's site is 502. I don't think a 504 A3 oil is even a thing.

Just use the 504 you can actually get. Winter rating means very little.

Originally Posted by kschachn
This is how silly it gets.

You need an oil with actual 504 00 or 507 00 approval. Find one and use it, the approval is all that matters. The winter rating is irrelevant unless you're in a very, very cold climate.

If your oil selection is so poor that all you have is an oil with ACEA C3 then use it.

Will do that thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back