Shelf life of various fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys!
I'm just wondering what the shelf life is for various fluids like ATF, Brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, differential oils etc? I have many opened containers of these fluids and some or over 10 years old but are capped and sitting on the shelf. Thank you!

the storage location has a bearing as well, as multi viscosity fluids are active in your engine or a cold to warm garage!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
the storage location has a bearing as well, as multi viscosity fluids are active in your engine or a cold to warm garage!!

Please explain what that means?

Brake fluid would be the only one I wouldn't risk using... If their small quantities (leftovers) I'd probably dispose of properly. Haven't used them in 10 yrs, why now.

M1 warranty states that their oil must be put into service within 5 years of purchase. Personally I do not go past a year.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Brake fluid would be the only one I wouldn't risk using... If their small quantities (leftovers) I'd probably dispose of properly. Haven't used them in 10 yrs, why now.

I use them for topping off and none of my vehicles use much fluid at all so it takes many years to use up an open container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back