ATF fluid shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks,

I'm changing my 2008 Subaru Forester power steering fluid later today. It uses ATF Dexron III fluid. I've got a couple bottles of SuperTech ATF Dexron III compliant fluid that I purchased in 2016. One bottle is unopened/sealed and the other I used a small amount of in 2016. Is there a shelf-life on these fluids or any reason why it would be a bad idea to go ahead and use them?

Thank you

Soobs

That fluid is not that old. I would use it with confidence. Imagine how many cars from the early 90s-2000s still have original PSF in their reserviors.

No shelf life limit, remembering that some people successfully USE it in their transmission for 20 years. Sitting in a closed bottle for 3 years is nothing.

Last edited:
Good point. Thank you!
smile.gif

Shake it up and pour it in. No worries. I have type F ATF that has to be at least 25 years old now, I used it last year when I changed the PS hoses on my 88 Ford van.

My dad bought a brand new 68 valiant in 68. It had a slant 6 and a 904 automatic trans. He and my mom drove that car up to about 1995. Still had the oe trans fluid in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back