Shelf life for Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by a tech at Redline that their oils don't have a shelf life, but have no knowledge of other brands. They are all probably ok for extended storage. I'm hoping so as I have a lot of the GC on hand.

I was told the same thing about Amsoil (no shelf life). But why would you want to stock up for the next x number of years. How often do they tweak formulations?

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking about stocking up 'cuz I'm heading back to school in the fall and I'd like to take care of as much car maintenance stuff as possible while I still have cash flow.

Greg

quote:

Originally posted by wrangler:
I was told the same thing about Amsoil (no shelf life). But why would you want to stock up for the next x number of years. How often do they tweak formulations?

My thoughts too. With Amsoil any changes they make are likely to make the oil better every time...

And does THAT necessarily make the existing older stock that's been stored several months suddenly unusable? Tweaks are a good thing, but they are, in the end, just that - TWEAKS. They're not a service grade improvement.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
And does THAT necessarily make the existing older stock that's been stored several months suddenly unusable? Tweaks are a good thing, but they are, in the end, just that - TWEAKS. They're not a service grade improvement.

True, but for oil nuts like us, we always want to have the latest formulation too. It helps us sleep better.
smile.gif

Shell claims a shelf life of 4-5 years for their motor oils, and since various brands of oils are more similar than dissimilar, I imagine Amsoil would be comparable.
http://www.rotella.com/answerresult.php?rowid=48

STP claims "indefinite" shelf lives of their oil and fuel additives, and I know they're products are similar to others' for the most part (per the MSDSs), so this should apply to other brands as well...
http://www.stp.com/faq.html

Hey all. Is there a shelf life for Amsoil or other products? I was thinking of REALLY stocking up in the next couple of months so I wouldn't have to buy any for a couple of years.

Thanks,

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back