Setting parking brake after new rotors

Hello all, my 2009 Camry Hybrid is in need of new rear rotors and pads and have decided to do the work myself. In all the videos I've watched, people knowingly set the parking brake to where there is a small amount of contact between the new rotor and parking brake (you can hear the contact when they spin the rotor) . I would have assumed to back it off until NO sound is heard, but would love to hear from knowledgeable folks what might be the best practice. If it's any help, this car has a pedal- actuated parking brake. Thanks!

EDIT... I am referring to when they put the rotor on and the parking brake is NOT engaged. What should be the proper "clearance" when the parking brake is NOT engaged.

Last edited:
I think if it grabs good and tight, then it's ok. I'll bet it's not tight like that when you take it off and assuming it's working fine that way.

This is a system with disc brakes and the parking brake has a mechanical cable that activates the regular brake pads for parking, right?

The cables should be just barely slack when the brake is off. The levers on the calipers need to move all the way back for the mechanism to work properly.

The system self adjusts to compensate for pad wear. Adjusting the brake cable is generally only needed after cables are replaced. Replacing the pads doesn't change the position of the cable.

From the factory, Toyota sets them to have no drag IME. But then the parking brake usually takes 7-10 clicks, sometimes more, to hold the car.

I usually turn the adjuster until the rotors lock, then back off 3-4 clicks. This usually results in a very light drag. Probably not proper procedure, but it works.

I had forgotten that I bought used Haynes manual sometime ago. Posting the reccommended procedure for anyone who may have a similar question in the future. Refer to step #7 in the attached picture for what it's worth. Thanks to all that responded.

Attachments

• 20221007_203258.jpg
    20221007_203258.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 129
OK this is a drum parking brake, which is entirely different. Yes you do adjust those. The procedure isn't super critical since if you have them too tight, it will wear the shoes off until it stops dragging, and if a bit too loose it will self-adjust.

Put on at least two of the lug nuts to hold the rotor / drum tight against the hub while you are adjusting.

I’ve used a brake setting gauge for drums but the way a Honda tech taught it to me was tighten the star adjuster until it drags and back it off a few clicks.

Agree with @nthach and @The Critic. Old school works here. Tighten the adjuster until the drag becomes a lock (turning by hand), then back it off a few (3-6?) clicks. I’ll bet the factory guidance is something like 5-6 clicks at the parking brake handle for solid engagement.

From the factory, Toyota sets them to have no drag IME. But then the parking brake usually takes 7-10 clicks, sometimes more, to hold the car.

I usually turn the adjuster until the rotors lock, then back off 3-4 clicks. This usually results in a very light drag. Probably not proper procedure, but it works.

That's how I did it too. 5 clicks no drag on a hyundai.

Once the parking brake shoes are properly adjusted at the wheels, confirm that the parking brake lever/pedal is properly adjusted; 5-7 clicks the brake should be fully applied. Adjustment here (if needed) is made at the cable.

Back