Servicing a CVT on a 2017 Nissan Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sleepeyes
For a 2017 Nissan DO NOT use the Valvoline CVT fluid, it does not meet the NS-III spec. If you want to go aftermarket then go with the Redline or Amsoil CVT fluids.

Valvoline and Castrol CVT both meet Nissan's NS-3 standards
smile.gif

If the VQ35 engine and CVT in this 2017 Maxima is like the VQ35 and CVT in my 2016 Nissan Quest, a CVT drain and fill is easier than an engine oil change. There is a "dipstick" tube for refilling, a drain plug and a level check plug. The most difficult part for me was getting the cap off the dipstick tube. It has a locking tab and the O-ring seal on it tends to stick to the inside of the tube.

You won't be able to verify level if you don't have a means to get the vehicle off the ground and level, but this does not mean you cannot drain it at ambient temperature, measure the amount that drained out, then refill with the same amount of ambient temp CVT juice. The level check is not an issue with this powertrain in the Quest, Pathfinder or Murano because they have a good amount of ground clearance.

I've done 3-4 drain/fills on my 2016 Nissan Quest at this point using Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid I order off of eBay. You can find it for about $10-12/qt there vs $20 at the dealer.

I'd only use a fluid with a blue color like NS-3 if this vehicle is still under warranty. If warranty is no longer an issue, I'd use any readily available "suitable for use" Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

You won't be able to verify level if you don't have a means to get the vehicle off the ground and level, but this does not mean you cannot drain it at ambient temperature, measure the amount that drained out, then refill with the same amount of ambient temp CVT juice. The level check is not an issue with this powertrain in the Quest, Pathfinder or Murano because they have a good amount of ground clearance..

What I have done to keep my my former Altima level was to put the front on ramps and use my floor jack on the rear to level the car.

Originally Posted by Sleepeyes
For a 2017 Nissan DO NOT use the Valvoline CVT fluid, it does not meet the NS-III spec. If you want to go aftermarket then go with the Redline or Amsoil CVT fluids.

According to this document it does meet NS-3:

Valvoline CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back