Service a14 Honda pilot

Hi,

My 2015 Pilot AWD has the service A14 light on.

A1 just means oil change the expensive part is 4:
Timing belt/inspect water pump, replace spark plugs and inspect valve clearance.

Does anyway know what book rate for hours on 4 service is? Trying to figure out if I should seek out very conpentent $70/hr mechanics(2) but not convenient vs dealer in day for $1700 inclusive of parts/labor.

Thanks!

Timing Belt 4.0
W/P + 0.3
Hydraulic Tensioner (always leaking) +.2

Total = 4.5 hrs

Valve Clearance Adjustment = 4.5 hours
Spark Plugs = 1.0 hour

Dealers around here generally sell both items as a package for ~$2500 as a menu priced special. We're over $200/hr here.

Buy the Aisin timing belt kit, serp belt, and plugs on your own and find a trusted mechanic that deals with Honda's. I have yet to do a valve adjustment on our odyssey at 180K miles. I probably won't at this point.

A dealer tech in a rush is likely just to check a few and slap it back together anyways. I've seen tons of these V6's go well north of 250k+ without the valves adjusted, and by that time the trans is probably slipping or the rest of the car about toast anyways.

That era of 3.5 is notorious for chewing up cam lobes regardless if the valve lash has been done.

TB replace is usually anywhere from $600-1200. Some dealers try to charge $1200-1500+ for it. Lol pls go

TB replace is usually anywhere from $600-1200. Some dealers try to charge $1200-1500+ for it. Lol pls go
TB might be $1200. But the Valve Adjust is usually another $800-$1K on top of that. Plus the plugs.

Timing Belt 4.0
W/P + 0.3
Hydraulic Tensioner (always leaking) +.2

Total = 4.5 hrs

Valve Clearance Adjustment = 4.5 hours
Spark Plugs = 1.0 hour

Dealers around here generally sell both items as a package for ~$2500 as a menu priced special. We're over $200/hr here.

Last edited:
Skip the valve adjust, it's a waste.

Just do the T-Belt/WP and plugs and call it a day.
I was about to give you a like for that comment. Every time I have always had to have a few valves that were out of parameter. The worst thing about not doing it is it down the road you have to do it then essentially you got to change the valve cover gasket again and then why you've already got it off you might as well change the spark plugs again. That logic was what a lot of people felt when on the older Hondas you change the timing belt in the water pump at the same time regardless if one or the other was the only problem.

A dealer tech in a rush is likely just to check a few and slap it back together anyways. I've seen tons of these V6's go well north of 250k+ without the valves adjusted, and by that time the trans is probably slipping or the rest of the car about toast anyways.

That era of 3.5 is notorious for chewing up cam lobes regardless if the valve lash has been done.
If that's the case about cam lobes, Im glad I run a 5/40 euro oil then

I've got to do it all tomorrow. Some things are just worth doing at least for peace of mind. Like on our old Mercedes-Benz is it was required and highly recommended that you go in and have the valves adjusted every 20,000 miles on the 300D. For peace of mind I would at least encourage people to have it done once just to get an idea on how they look. It's better to be safe than to be sorry.

Attachments

• 20220914_110414.jpg
    20220914_110414.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 20
Back