Septic Tank Service

I do a pump out once a year. Things are not working perfectly. The local borough requirement is every 3 years, tops. I've used the same people for the past 20 years. I'm pretty sure I have a 500 gal. tank but have mostly been charged for a 1000 gal. tank. The cost had floated around $120-$150 for many years. It went to $180 last year and I just paid $360 recently. I'm sure that their costs have risen, but it seems that every good, food or service goes up 40% to 100% in each increment.

Interesting you have the 3 year requirement as well. I talk to people outside of the couple counties around here and they're baffled and never heard of the requirement.

My FIL went 17 years without pumping his and didn't have any issues. He had the house built but lived in a different state so he wasn't present for the construction. He has a 3 tank "clear stream" system but they only put risers on 2 of the 3 tanks, the solids tank never had a riser on it. He called companies out every 3-5 years to pump out they system, but the companies were always pumping out the center tank, assuming it was the solids tank. So his actual solids tank went 17 years and was only 3/4 full when a different septic company discovered the third tank.

Prices really went up like everything else. My old guy retired so I got a new company. $220 to clean out a 1500 gallon tank. He was 3 hrs late but I wasn't overly annoyed. The price was right.

He took $20 off for the wait.
I had others quote $350.

I clean mine out every other year.
What are the prices in your area?
This was in Maryland
Who was this? I'm due this spring.

I've used Hall's in the past, great service, but not cheap. Can't remember the cost exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was more than $220.

My old house never had a problem with the septic system . The new house started backing up after 5 years so I had a larger leach field installed and I will have the tank pumped out every year or two. The pumper trucks look like they cost a least $250,000.00 +

My old house never had a problem with the septic system . The new house started backing up after 5 years so I had a larger leach field installed and I will have the tank pumped out every year or two. The pumper trucks look like they cost a least $250,000.00 +

Yea, the company I use has a quite large and expensive truck!

8vcynfb.jpg

It took that 1,000 gallons out in less than 10 minutes :oops:

I think I paid $320.00 last year. I normally pump out every two years. But with price increases and us being down to two people I will pump only as necessary. I will check the solids layer yearly. Should be able to do 4 years.
BTW I used to be a state certified septic system inspector. I quit that for obvious reasons.
Hmmmm. What in the world are you putting in your septic tank? I've only had one pump out in over 20 years. I don't wash any food or non-degradable debris into mine. The pump out was caused by a failed drain field. The old drain field was made out of the old black perforated piping and had become completely clogged by tree roots. The new field uses new design which has no small passages that can be stopped up by roots.

Yea, the company I use has a quite large and expensive truck!

8vcynfb.jpg

It took that 1,000 gallons out in less than 10 minutes :oops:
We had 3 of them. The tank holds 2800 gallons. There is a plastic gear from the pto to the pump that sheers if something gets in the pump and jams it. You don't know the fun i had replacing that thing.

Our septic is 16ish years old this year. Never pumped it. Been thinking about doing it, so this thread is somewhat timely.

A couple years ago I noticed that our drain field had a wet spot over top of one of the lines. I dumped some Roebic fix-in-a-bottle in the toilet, as directed by the label, and it fixed it right up.

Our local septic company is called All Star Septic. The used to fly a large flag at end of their driveway for their storage yard that just had their initials on it, but people were offended. :ROFLMAO:
The stuff in bottle is mostly placebo. Save your money.

The stuff in bottle is mostly placebo. Save your money.

It's 100% placebo.

It won't hurt anything to add it, but it's not going to add any value. Non-digestible materials are just that. Non-digestible. Nothing is going to break them down. They must be manually removed.

I've had old timer septic pumpers tell me it's best to save a little bit of sludge in your tank after a pumping to "re-establish" the beneficial bacteria colony you need to break down waste. Fact of the matter is, there's plenty of it established on the inner surfaces of the tank already. Even if there was not, it will take place naturally and quickly provided you're smart with your waste water stream.

Lots of people can, and will go 25, 30 or 50yrs without ever pumping their tank. This will work for you until the floating scum layer gets thick enough and solid enough to block the outflow of the tank. Then in the absolute best case scenario, you have backups in the house. I promise anyone. This will happen eventually. All the paper pulp, trace amounts of oils, waxes, soaps, hair and other materials that don't break down, continue to build up every day. It's not a big deal, you just have to remove them per a schedule that works for your usage.

One of the best things you can do for your system is NOT use multi-layer toilet paper. This turn to a giant mass of solid paper pulp way faster than single ply Scotts will.

Our septic is 16ish years old this year. Never pumped it. Been thinking about doing it, so this thread is somewhat timely.

A couple years ago I noticed that our drain field had a wet spot over top of one of the lines. I dumped some Roebic fix-in-a-bottle in the toilet, as directed by the label, and it fixed it right up.

Our local septic company is called All Star Septic. The used to fly a large flag at end of their driveway for their storage yard that just had their initials on it, but people were offended. :ROFLMAO:

Just had my tank pumped by the company I mentioned. $475 which included digging to find the cap. He said there were no issues. We've been in this house 3 months shy of 16 years (new home we had built).

Back