Selling my GTI to Carvana

I've been checking what Carvana would offer for my GTI for the last 6 months. This last week the offer went up $2k to $24k and I am getting ready to bite. I'm going to walk away with almost $7k in hand after paying off my loan and they are paying $3k more than I paid for the car almost 2 years ago. Crazy stuff. Anyway, any tips on what I should do with the car prior to them picking it up? Should I wash and vacuum it? I've heard they hardly check it before taking it.

Remove all your stuff. Take it to the full service carwash if it needs it.

In the same position..... a sale to Carvana, or equivalent, is less of a hassle than trading in to dealer. These new car dealers make purchasing a nightmare and not an enjoyable experience.

If you have another car, or already plan on buying one, then enjoy your sale.

I sold my car to them two months ago. I keep my cars clean so I didn't have to do anything except get all of my stuff out.
A lady takes an uber over 50 miles to pick it up. Gets out and looks at nothing except the dash to write down the miles so she could do the paperwork.
I want to show her under the hood and she says she doesn't need to see any of that..

Drives off.
I would sell sooner than later...
Time is not on your side.

I would detail the car like I was going to sell it myself and take pictures of everything. Later if they "find" some fault with it you have proof you gave them what they paid for. Second step would be take the money and run like a bandit because Carvana still hasn't turned a profit in the past 4 years. They keep overpaying for cars.

They re more interested in paint quality and dents. Clean it up a little, especially if it is dirty, and get your crap out.
Take some pics for a little insurance, but I doubt you will need it. The deal is done when they give oyu the check.

Take the money and run. Well done!
Carvana offered us like $2K more than end-of-lease-buyout on our 2018 Lexus RX450h. Our Lexus dealer matched the offer without question.
They didn't even ask to see the offer.

Wife and I sold our 2020 Leagacy (lease) to Carvana in September of 2021. Copy of registration card, copy of payoff, copy of drivers license, photo of the odometer. Deal was confirmed. On the day they picked up the car, met a Carvana lady driving a Prius at Dollar General (how's that for American in 2021?) She took a picture of the front of the car, the rear of the car, and both sides of the car. Took a photo of the odometer. Handed us a check and we handed her the keys. Done. Lease payoff was done in less than a week. Easiest, no hassle car deal ever. Made a good bit of cash on this sale. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I went ahead and got it washed and the interior cleaned. I submitted my pictures and info and am now waiting to hear back from them. Hoping to hear back soon and get this finished this week.

I sold my '18 Elantra GT to the dealer and walked away with $6200 after the payoff.
I took the car in dirty,I figured if they wanted to see it clean they could wash it.
Nope took it in dirty and really did not inspect it at all.
I did fix a scratch to bare metal with a thin tip black magic marker,looked pretty good.

We sold a 2015 mustang to carvana and made 500 on the deal. We were happy with that considering we used it for 4 years :)

I would detail the car like I was going to sell it myself and take pictures of everything. Later if they "find" some fault with it you have proof you gave them what they paid for. Second step would be take the money and run like a bandit because Carvana still hasn't turned a profit in the past 4 years. They keep overpaying for cars.
Amazon didn't turn a profit for many, many years- while AMZN stock rocketed. I read a blog for a few years (2006-2009) from a forensic accountant from India stating AMZN books were fraud and cooked using generally accepted accounting principals (GAAP). It didn't matter, AMZN was able to borrow money at near zero percent interest, grow, build any business they wanted to. And now that AMZN has achieved critical mass, they have made competing against them on a MACRO level very tough, and AMZN can turn a profit any quarter they CHOOSE to, for as much profit they want to. They may not be able to increase revenues per quarter at will, but they can turn any profit they want to for a few quarters.

Why is this relevant to Carvana? Carvana center of gravity is not retail used vehicle sales. Carvana's center of gravity is in the financial services businesses. Their two primary financial services business is selling bonds (full of vehicle loans), and servicing vehicle loans at which they get a fee for every loan, every month they service the loan. And of course financial service businesses also make "killings" on late fees, bounced check fees, etc.

Carvana does not need to sell a used vehicle to an individual at a profit to achieve its goals. For Carvana to achieve its goals, it needs to acquire thousands of car loans every month, and package and then sell the loans. And the terms of the loan sales is that Carvana gets to service the loans its sells.

Overpaying for cars may allow Carvana to achieve its corporate mission of selling bonds filled with vehicle loans.

I sold two vehicles to Carvana last year and both were very easy transactions...I did have both vehicles washed...the first an F150, as I thought it looked better to sell that way and the second as I had detailed it a couple days prior because I was still unsure about selling...

in both cases, the two women looking over my vehicles commented on how clean they were and both were taken on a short test drive with the inspectors walking around the vehicles with an iPad type tablet writing notes...

I would have no worries about selling cars to Carvana ...I don't think I'd buy one from them...in both cases I got more money than either would get me elsewhere...especially when factoring in convenience...I have a Cavana near me so I dropped off...I had a buddy meet me but was offered an Uber at no cost to me...

Bill

I'm not sure I'd buy from Carvana, but selling to them was pretty straightforward. They were so desperate to buy cars, they didn't even check to make sure the AC was working! But due to the miles and an "accident" that I never had, they were sending it to an auction.

There was a major hitch. When carvana sent in the check overnight, Chase (subaru motors finance) applied it to the wrong account. They wouldn't acknowledge it. I ended up on a conference call with Carvana and Chase and they had to send all of that information and prove to Chase multiple times that they sent the payment for the correct account.

I ended up pocketing like $9k or $10k from selling the Subaru after the loan was paid off.

I would do a basic wash and vacuum... and fart in the driver's seat one last time 🤣
I never drove the Subaru harder than I did before Carvana picked it up!

Back