Selling A New-ish Car Due To 'Niggles'

I traded in a 2002 Black VW GTI after one month. I drove it for one week and it blew a coil pack. It sat at the dealer for 3 weeks because they were on back order because VW was having major problems with the coil packs back then. I picked up the car finally and traded it the same day.

Happened to me too. My then new '78 Ford Fiesta was nothing but trouble. Everything broke off (window cranks, door handles, heater controls, radio knobs) and it seemed unlucky besides (known and mystery dents). The power train was good but that's not enough reason to keep a car.

Sold it after maybe 2 years and that's really early for me.

I don't keep vehicles I don't like. The ones I like, I keep forever. In my case, driving dynamics and comfort play a major role. I have a Jag X-Type that has turned out to be quite likeable. I know they got poor reviews, and are seen as unreliable. Yet here I am enjoying it's responsive and smooth engine and manual transmission, comfy seats and tight suspension and 225K miles of relatively trouble free AWD motoring.

My Ford Explorer went away fast. Hated it. It was no F150, so that's what replaced it. Same with my S2000 turbo. Annoying car with a flexible chassis. I don't care what the magazines said, the S2000 had Honda Civic brakes and 400HP was too much for the tin foil thin sheet metal chassis. Replaced the S2000 with a Jag F-Type and could not be happier.

The car has gone.

I was having 2nd thoughts this morning while doing a final whip-around making sure nothing was left in the car. Inwas thinking that maybe one more visit to Vauxhall would get everything fixed and I'd have no more issues.

Then I lifted the boot carpet and seen this...
20221105_095816.jpg

Certainly stopped any 2nd thoughts very quickly. 🤣

Leaking boot reminds my of our Lumina....only worse.

Mechanically, the car is very sound. But the build quality is pretty poor. Even by GM standards.

In a nut shell: If it has fluids on the inside, it leaks out. If there's fluids on the outside, it leaks in.

Why not a Toyota?

Never had one, but do fancy one. Well actually, my Wife leased a Citreon C1 for 12 months back in 2015 which was basically a Toyota Aygo (did you get these in the US?).

Unfortunately I need the car to be able to tow 1500kgs. None of the UK/European Toyota Range gets anywhere near until you get to the Rav4. The only Rav4 I could get approved by the company I work for would be a Hybrid which are around £45k. The Dacia I've ordered is £22,600 on-the-road.

3,300lb towing capacity and 50mpg (or whatever that translates to)? no small order I’d think, and utterly impossible here it would seem!

(yes I know, not at the same time)

Good luck, life is too short for shoddy cars. If you can break even, then why not?

Never had one, but do fancy one. Well actually, my Wife leased a Citreon C1 for 12 months back in 2015 which was basically a Toyota Aygo (did you get these in the US?).

Unfortunately I need the car to be able to tow 1500kgs. None of the UK/European Toyota Range gets anywhere near until you get to the Rav4. The only Rav4 I could get approved by the company I work for would be a Hybrid which are around £45k. The Dacia I've ordered is £22,600 on-the-road.
There isno US version of the Aygo. The smallest thing we have is the Yaris, which the Aygo apparently is also called in other countries, but that version never made it to the US.

Yeah, I saw that a 2018 Impreza was 24k pounds new.... Here Subaru's tend to have the cheapest AWD model available in each class, since they are all AWD, and there is no real discount brands here at all. A 2.0 Impreza must get 45 imperial mpg? Not good enough?

Not very likely since there's not much straight and uninterupted roads. 35 mpg is closer to reality I suspect. Possibly less with AWD.

Long, long ago, my piano teacher replaced her '59 Ford with a '60 Olds 88. She said the Ford was "nickel and diming me to death."

Not very likely since there's not much straight and uninterupted roads. 35 mpg is closer to reality I suspect. Possibly less with AWD.
I see it can get 44.1 miles/uk gal highway but only 36 combined with the 1.6L. I have 7k miles in fuelly.com with our Outback and have averaged 35 miles per uk gal but that's with me driving in a semi mileage conscious way. My Focus only average 40 miles/uk gal and that's with more hypermiling.
The little turbo diesel's are a nice combination of mileage and torque and towing, if they are reliable like ones 10-20 years ago.

BUT..... Can it roll coal? If the answer is yes, then it might be worth keeping, just to aggravate the greenies. (y)
I am far far from a green guy but pouring diesel fuel into a combustion chamber to make huge black soot is gross. People get sick from breathing that stuff.

I am far far from a green guy but pouring diesel fuel into a combustion chamber to make huge black soot is gross. People get sick from breathing that stuff.

Pretty sure he was joking.

Our Euro 6 diesel engines are extremely clean. There's no smoke or smells at all from the exhaust. They're generally very reliable also.

Pretty sure he was joking.

Our Euro 6 diesel engines are extremely clean. There's no smoke or smells at all from the exhaust. They're generally very reliable also.

Mine was euro5, but until it got totalled with 115k miles on it, it never once had the MIL on, asked for regens, ran lumpy (not at start up, not when hot) or had the engine worked on in any way. No smoke, no smells.

I had no reservations taking that car to 250k or more miles, except for a clutch replacement at some point (dct gearbox).

It did have some other stuff happen in 9 years but nothing weird. 2x led side repeators, 1 wheel bearing, fixing some wires between body and hatch and an interior fan (brushes gone it turned out)

Back